1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

187mm W2 Mizu Honyaki Ko-Gyuto

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Aug 26, 2014.

1. So, I finally got some decent pictures taken of this blade today, and thought I'd share them here. Please let me know what you think...comments and criticism are not just welcome, but expected!

Thanks guys :D

First a (hopefully better...) video:

And now, pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall stats (just measured):
    Weight - 113g (with the current handle)
    Balance - .75" in front of the ferrule (when held in a pinch grip, this puts the balance point right above your middle finger)
    Edge length - 187mm (7.4")
    Handle length - 134mm (5.28")
    Overall length - 360mm (14.2")
    Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 85mm (3.4")
    Height at heel - 49mm (2")
    Height at midblade - 36mm (1.42")
    Height 5cm from tip - 21mm (.82")
    Blade: AISI W2 from Aldo Bruno at www.newjerseysteelbaron.com
    Spine thickness is .92mm above the heel, .97mm midblade, and .64mm 1cm from the tip.
    Thickness 1cm above the edge is .96mm above the heel, .95mm midblade, and .64mm 1cm from the tip.
    The thickest part of the blade is 1.62mm

If interested in this blade, you can find the for sale thread here:
    http://www.kitchenknifefora.com/threads/187mm-mizu-honyaki-ko-gyuto-up-for-sale.1351/

Thanks for looking ladies and gentlemen, and again, please feel free to comment!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Wow, what a stunning knife. Is it ground flat, and how much flex does it have?

3. Thank you!

The only part of this blade that is flat, is about 2cm of the blade road. There is a slight convex at the very edge before the primary bevel (VERY slight...I grind to .10mm before sharpening...the convex is basically finger pressure on the high grit belt). Where the hamon is...what I call the 'hira' (or side of the blade above the blade road)...well, lets just say a straight edge would do you no good up there :D.

In terms of flexibility...I'm not sure how you would quantify that. But I'm not a weak man, and it takes some effort to flex the blade. It will flex some of course (perhaps 1/2" between the middle and tip of the blade by hand...but with a fair amount of force)...but all in all would consider this blade quite stiff. Particularly for a knife so thin.

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Looks good. The pics make me almost regret sticking with the other one. This one's apparently even thinner than mine, if anyone's curious.

Good luck with the sale.

5. I actually thinned it a bit while final polishing it...and was going to do the same when I final polish yours as well :).

6. William Catcheside

William Catcheside Founding Member

Love the look of your knives Cris. Can see all the work thats gone into this with the over all fit n finish, the gorgeous hamon and the thin geometry. Someone will be very pleased with this if their looking for a true laser.

7. Thank you Will!! That's an incredible compliment coming from a guy who has been a huge inspiration to my work!

As for the knife...I can only hope the person who buys it is pleased :).

8. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Off the frickin hizzle NICE! Can not wait to try one of your awesome blades. Love me some Mizu Honyaki & the Hamon is uber sexy! Believe me, if I had the cash I would buy it RIGHT NOW! Chris, you should be very proud of such a beautiful piece of work.

Al

9. Thanks Al!! I'm absolutely proud of this one :D.