1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Perfect Petty Size

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Mar 8, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I know its subjective but a petty is a knife I would like to add at some point. For those that have and love to use them what is your preferred size, and what is your typical use for it in your kitchen (will help explain size choices).

Please petty this new guy for a while

2. erikz

erikz Founding Member

I use a 150 for all the small work on my board, stuff where a gyuto or a nakiri would be overkill like mushrooms, shallots, small protiens etc. What I like about my Masakage Shimo petty is the feedback I get from the tip.

3. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I am really enjoying a 135mm funayuki for small stuff, but a 150 might be more versatile overall.

4. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Got a few 150s; great for the smaller stuff erikz mentioned, plus supreming citrus. Got a 180 as well that is a very usable size.

5. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

I like a 120, mostly for in-hand use. for other tasks I'm typically reaching for a 210 suji or smaller gyuto.

6. TaJ

TaJ Founding Member Contributor

There is talk about Petty and Gyuto sizes and they seem to overlap in these discussions (although i thought Gyuto begins at about 200 mm). What's the difference between a 180 mm Petty / Gyuto?

7. cclin

cclin Founding Member

in generally speaking, 180mm gyuto have slightly wider heel for more knuckles clearance than 180mm petty

8. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

from what I saw,... knuckle clearance, I just figured a gyuto would have a taller blade to be more geared for board cutting and a petty for in hand, although both could do either their strengths would be leaning more to one side over other. But since im so new at this I wouldn't take my word for anything lmao

9. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

Shape. Petty are generally shaped with a suji profile.

10. panda

panda Founding Member

150 i almost never used, got a 165 and it sees plenty use now, so thinking 180 would be even better, 210 however is too long.

11. TaJ

TaJ Founding Member Contributor

Ah ok, i see. The use as cutter on a board and knuckle clearance are a factor. As for shape, when i line up my western Petty and one of my western Gyuto in my line of sight with the Petty in front, so that the sizes match, the Petty looks similar to the Gyuto. The Sujihiki is much different (much longer when at the same height. But i see how one could compare a Petty with a Sujihiki when we think of the Petty as a very short Sujihiki with less height.

12. erikz

erikz Founding Member

Most makers actually call them sujis.

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I have a handful ranging from 135-150ish. I like them all, depending on what I'm doing.

You really need more than one!

14. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I like 150 and 100.

15. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

You can't use your french knfie to do everything!?

Eh, I use my birds beak paring knife more than any other short knife.

Actual pettys, I only have a 150. It is of usable size when I remember I have it. I'm curious to how I will like a 180.