1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Help (Input) Needed

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, May 14, 2018.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I'm getting tired of making >$.50 an hour making knives so I thought I'd try adding in some work that I got known for - modifying Japanese knives. [​IMG]

An example would be how I used to rework Hiromoto AS knives with a rehandle, blade thinning/etching, etc.

If I was to buy some Japanese knives (new), which ones specifically do you think would work out well for re-selling with a modification? What modifications do you think I should offer on these knives?

I'll welcome all ideas! [​IMG]

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wish I had the experience to help, only boring handled blades I have that could use a little performance work is my masakage blades, and I'm not sure who else would want them lol. All though my konosuke hg2 (Suji) would be a nice blade with a little love

3. Dave Martell

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Btw what about the dragons ? Aren't they everyone's guilty pleasure ? Lol

5. Dave Martell

Yeah the dragons are in the running. :)

6. I'd say focus on being more productive with your own line of knives instead of spreading time over multiple projects.

The supply of Japanese knives these days is so wide, that you can easily find any types of knives. Want them cheap and dirty? No problem! Want fancy steel/damascus/handles — lots of options as well! I can hardly imagine how tweaking of Japanese knives can be more profitable compared to running your own line of knives.

Just my .5c

7. Dave Martell

I've thought the same thing, makes sense to me too, yet the field of custom kitchen knifemakers has exploded to the point that the available customer base, to each maker, is shrinking exponentially.

Also, I'm about at max output as it is. The only way that I could go faster at the moment is to cut corners on the level of finish I'm supplying and I'm not sure I could stomach that.

But thanks for the input, I appreciate anything that gets me thinking.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Dave I love your work. there is not denying it is top shelf. I sure hope you can come to some solution.

9. Dave Martell