1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Workhorse re-handle (wa)

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by NMaxy, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Has anyone re-handled a Kato workhorse, either yourself or using someone else? I'd love to hear about your experience, or even better, see pics!

2. What exactly are you interested in?
    While at JNS gathering I've seen a lot of Katos blades of all sizes. I haven't noticed anything special about their tangs.

Dan (twistington) has made tons of western handles for Kato knives, so if you are interested in full tang western handles — he's the person to ask.

3. I've been thinking about a re-handle. I have a ton of knives with essentially the same burnt chestnut handle. I love my Kato knives, and thought one might be a good candidate for a new handle. As you know, they have a thick spine and largish tang, so I was interested to know if anyone has experience making handles that suit the knife.

4. I'm sure if you contact any of handle makers directly, they wouldn't have any problems making a new handle for your Kato. While those knives does have bigger tangs, they aren't THAT big and shouldn't affect the normal process of handle making. Basically I'm trying to tell you that there's no real difference between making a handle for Kato and any other knife.

5. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

To be honest, it can be easier rehanging a knife with a larger tang, because drill bits are sturdier, longer and easier to find when you get up in diameter. Less use of files is always a good thing for guys like us. :)

6. I also have a Kato workhorse with the standard chestnut wa handle. Maybe I will have someone rehandle it as well someday. I think I would like it with a little bit heavier handle/ferrule to push the balance point a bit closer to the handle. It's such a heavy blade, so I would prefer it to be less blade heavy.

7. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I rehandled mine myself some years ago. It was the 27.

When I took the chestnut handle of, I had to order some extra long drill bits, other than that it went alright. I was much more happy with the D shape in heavier wood.

8. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

It was a very nice rehandle job , best memory from that specific knife , wish I bought it straight from you

9. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Honestly, it hurts me to think this blade gets smashed now by some mental amateur.
    You dont posses any information about who owns it now do you?

10. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Will find the pictures and send you more info :(