1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood finish for saya

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by sharksfan7, Dec 6, 2014.

1. I'm planning on making a saya. Never done any type of woodworking before so I'm working on gathering things I'll need for this project. Since this will most likely be a one-time thing, it seems like such a waste to buy a whole can of tung oil or Minwax to finish it. The magnolia saya that came with my other knife, I'm pretty sure, doesn't have any type finish at all. But I got a thin cut piece of bubinga and some poplar for the one I'm going to make. The bubinga is lighter in color than I was hoping. I'm assuming I need to apply some type of finish to deepen the color. Any reason why I couldn't just use the mineral oil/beeswax mix I use on my cutting board as a finish?

2. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

You can use the board butter but it will be a dullish finish.
    You can get wipe on poly or danish oil for under $10 that will look a lot nicer.
    and....you might find yourself freshening up the finish on other things around the house.
    Big thing is to sand it well no matter what finish you use.
    I would not stop sanding at less than 600 grit.