1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The most EPIC kitchen knives ever! WIP

Discussion in 'HHH Custom Knives' started by HHH Knives, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

You have style Neil!

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I can only hope that in a few thousand years my fossilized remains will look that good.

3. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Neil, you rule!!! Let's see..... Absolute Martini, dry w/ roqueford stuffed queen olive.......... oh yea, skewered on a gabazillion year old ivory toothpick. To damn cool!!! :cool:

4. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Awesome photo! Thanks for sharing!!

5. HHH Knives

Its been a long road. This project has challenged me on many levels. and I am happy to have been able to share just a little of the process with you guys.

The last part of the process requires lots of mock ups. for fitting everything. as well as the butt caps needed to be fabricated and fitted.

So when I left off. I think I had the bolsters shaped and etched. The walrus handle slabs were rough shaped and close to finish thickness..

The last part of this process is making the butt caps.

First I rough shaped them to each handle. After that the surfaces are flat sanded. Then I sorta decide how I want to cut and file them to expose the mokume patterning. For this step. I eye ball top and bottom and draw a few baselines to follow when hand filing.

_MG_2692 (800x544).jpg

Now to the "fun" part. Hand filing each one with a unique pattern. I liked how the first knifes butt cap turned out. So I went with a similar style cut.

_MG_2693 (800x534).jpg _MG_2697 (800x534).jpg

Sorta crude but effective. Both my style and execution!

The process is slow, I use a series of files and sand paper wrapped files.

_MG_2700 (800x533).jpg _MG_2702 (800x533).jpg _MG_2707 (800x533).jpg _MG_2710 (800x533).jpg _MG_2711 (800x533).jpg _MG_2718 (800x534).jpg _MG_2719 (800x534).jpg

That was all fun. turning large pieces of Gold and silver and copper mokume into small pieces and lots of shavings!! lol But it really doesnt get good until I patina the copper!!!

BLAM!!!!!

_MG_2727 (800x533).jpg _MG_2723 (800x715).jpg

And to close out this update. a peak at them installed and a look at the bolsters.

_MG_2737 (800x533).jpg _MG_2735 (800x533).jpg

I really love the effect and look of this material. Somthin bout gold.. The only thing I can say is this whole experience has been EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blessings
    Randy

6. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Stunning!

7. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Epic does not do these pieces justice, What is beyond EPIC!

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

9. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

transcendental

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Randy, thanks so much for taking the time to share the process with us. It's really amazing to see the materials transformed in to items of such incredible beauty.

11. cheflarge

HOLY SHAT!@#$%^&*()+ :cool:

12. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

dam! You gonna just go ahead and close down the shop and retire, since you'll never top these? :p

13. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Not bad :D Hey, I'm German, that is the highest praise we have ;)

Stefan

14. HHH Knives

Thanks guys and gals.

These are now completed and ready for some photos. I plan to spend some time with them tomorrow. taking photos. This is always a challenge to get pictures that represent the actual look of the knives. Yet something I am sure I can do!

Im glad you all have enjoyed the WIP and appreciate the kind words. Yet Im just getting rolling and still learning and growing as a maker. Although I will say. This set or ones like it will never to repeated. Both, total costs per knife and ability to get similar materials make this set as "custom" as anything I have ever made!!!! Dont worry, Ill keep pushing myself and my skill set on every knife!!

I was just talking with a friend from the forum. He and I have many things in common. Most of all we live to make things that make both others and ourselves happy. :) I found it pretty cool and awesome to chat with him and look forward to making his knives!

Stand by for more images tomorrow.

15. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I'm almost sad it is over.

16. Toothpick

17. HHH Knives

As promised. I have pictures!!!!

Im sorta sad these are competed. YET Happy knowing they will be well used and cherished . Then passed on to the kids and God willing Grand kids etc...

Blessings
    Randy

_MG_2865 (800x533).jpg _MG_2856 (800x533).jpg _MG_2863 (800x533).jpg View attachment 4823 _MG_2888 (800x533).jpg _MG_2927 (800x533).jpg _MG_2922 (800x533).jpg _MG_2910 (800x524).jpg _MG_2879 (800x533).jpg _MG_2914 (800x533).jpg _MG_2917 (800x533).jpg _MG_2918 (800x533).jpg _MG_2922 (800x533).jpg _MG_2924 (800x533).jpg _MG_2821 (800x533).jpg _MG_2825 (800x533).jpg

18. cheflarge

Eye popping sexiness! :k

19. Toothpick

Beautiful knives. There's nothing about them that I don't like.
    Actually there is one thing...I don't own them. I hate that.

20. HHH Knives

Thanks Guys!!! These finally on there way to there new home..

Its been a great adventure. a EPIC adventure even!!!

Blessings
    Randy