1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine, what's in your glass?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Toothpick, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Hahahahahahaha! Buy more than you drink! What a comedian!

2. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

That, and buy some wines that need a couple of years. Pick up a few things they recommend waiting 3-5 years for, and maybe a couple that need closer to 10 years. Just make sure you keep track of what is what.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

It's proving to be quite hard. I've never been an at home drinker but here lately a class of wine or 3 on the weekends hits the spot.

Ahhh so that's the trick. How do i find those wines? I'm guessing shopping somewhere besides the local liquor store would be the first step?

4. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Definitely helps if you either have someone with you who knows, or if you shop at a place with a knowlegable staff. 'Course you could always subscribe to one of Wine Spectator or some other publication, but you may find it tough actually laying your hands on some of the recommended wines locally.

5. Toothpick

6. Toothpick

The Gabbaino was tart. And I enjoyed it very much. The merlot...I'm on the fence. Aged in oak barrels for 10 months it says. For me that is a distinct flavor. Not sure how I feel about it.

7. Ah, here's one I can join in on :)

Beaujolais and red Burgundy are my favourites

Here's a couple:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

When I lived in Italy, for a while I got my wine from a local cantina. Picture a stone barn with 10 or so 300 gallon vats. You went in with your 5 litre fiascos, (I had 3). The attendant would give you a 16 oz glass, ask your preference. He'd then take you around to the vats he thought you'd like. He'd take down a hose akin to a gas pump hose and load your glass with a taste (typically about half a glass) . So after tasting 3 or 4 types you'd make a selection and he would top off your fiasco's at about a buck a litre . then carefully, you'd head on home. What I soon learned was that this wine did not have a long shelf life and had to be consumed somewhat rapidly. This was trouble brewing. 15 litres of wine a week was not a good plan. When I considered the purchase of another fiasco, Rhonda pointed out that we should probably cut back. She was right.

9. Toothpick