1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

whose Kato ?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Mar 6, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Keep seeing this mans name come up. I have a knife by a man named Kato but thats Masakage so different Kato id imagine... so whose this other Kato I keep seeing ?

2. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Kiyoshi Kato- oldtimeswordsmith. Is who I am guessing they are referring to. Check him out at Maxim's site.

ETA Beaten by that much...

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Whoa they dont come cheap... great history, seems like an amazing knife, most likely out of the budget for the time being. But very cool to see the contrast between how thick they are and feedback on how they behave.

5. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

Worth every cent.

6. John Fout

You get what you pay for ;)

7. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Kato is cutting carrots like they were boiled:D

8. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Mine :jump :thx

[​IMG]

9. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

:jump:jump:jump:jump Mine:

[​IMG]

10. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Trying to be as diplomatic and sensitive as I can here. There are at least three different vendors selling Kato. I get that JKS has their Katos made to custom specs. But is a Kato a Kato a Kato? Meaning regardless of any customization issues is the quality the same regardless of where it came from. I ask because I probably will only be able to end up with a previously owned one and in that case I might not know what vendor it came from to start with.

11. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I can't speak for the quality of a Kato from other vendors, but knives that have been produced to Maksim's specifications have the kanji for "workhorse" on the left side of the blade:

[​IMG]

12. schanop

schanop Founding Member

As well 菊竜 for kikuryu, the damascus/kitaeji line.
    [​IMG]

13. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

You will, if you buy from a reputable source.

From what Ive heard, all the other sellershave old stock and this will not have same steel nor finish.

14. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Ok. Thanks. I did not know the kanji were different. Very helpful.

I don't want to pit vendors against each other. I just saw with a google search there was an outfit in Canada selling Kato and thought maybe it would be better shipping rates coming from there.

Just briefly looking at JKS' website I think I want the dragon model..... someday. Maybe it will pop up in the BST here if I am patient. :)

15. John Fout

Doesn't maxim have inexpensive or free shipping on most knives or am I thinking of someone else?

16. jigert

jigert Founding Member

I really want to try out a Kato workhorse. Love the western handles with silver bolsters that Dan made. Maybe in the summertime when I get back to work.
    Just FYI Maxim at JNS offers free shipping on orders over 1000DKK

17. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Your long lost great uncle.

18. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've got a 150mm petty by the guy on the way. Honestly I'm a little skeptical about the hype, and it doesn't help that normally a laser type...but we'll see how it turns out.

Too bad I didn't have the funds in my Paypal when Maksim was holding his big sale.

19. DitmasPork

DitmasPork Founding Member

Here's my Kato from JNS which arrived this past Monday. I've been using it quite a lot, has a very unique personality, feels like a very special knife—it's very eager to cut things. Love it, and use it as much as my Kochi gyuto.

I don't use the Kato everything though, for more finesse cutting [some fish, scallops, little things] I tend to use my Kono Fujiyama, which is more agile.

[​IMG]