1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

whole pig

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by butch, Mar 9, 2015.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

ok so here we go. we buy beef a side at a time and am thinking about buying a whole pig to put in the freezer.
    so the question is what cuts to get.
    my butcher also make bacon and ham that is good in house so i will most likly get some of that along with sausage.
    other then that im at a loss

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Depends what he charges to cure the bacon and hams...

I would get the loins whole. Jowls, and tenderloins. Everything else I would grind unless you wanted a butt or cushion for smoking and pulling.

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Definitely butts for smoking, and some ribs to go along with them.

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Making your own hams and bacon is pretty easy Butch. If they charge very much we could talk you through it.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

i have helped a guy make CB before but never atempted a ham. im also worried that dependig on the time of year getting a cold smoke in my smoker woudl be tricky
    and lucretia for sure i woudl make some BBQ

6. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

The shoulders/ butts make great roasts. High in fat, so the meat stays nice and juicy. Very easy to cook. We make a killer picnic shoulder/ ham for a Christmas party every year that has a molasses/ pecan/ bourbon glaze on it. It doesn't suck...

7. butch

butch Founding Member

man that sounds good

8. Jim

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

My granny used to love cold pickled trotters...

10. Yes. Yes we do.

11. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I'm thinking you need at least two pigs...

12. butch

butch Founding Member

maybe but i think startig with one is a smart move to see what all cuts we like and how good i am at curing/ smoking ham/bacon

13. Jim

14. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

15. butch

butch Founding Member

we like stuffed chops and kabobs BTW nice looking bacon
    nother reason for one pig at a time is with a half a steer and kelly wanting to bag a deer this year and the garden our 2/3 sized freeze gets full fast but this year we hope to can a bit more to help with space (shockig how much food we got out of 4 6x6' raised beds + 6 razberrys 4 blueberry bushes (still really young )

16. Oh man! This is a great idea.

Nick

17. pleue

pleue Founding Member

Other countries tend to have some interesting takes on cuts that we can't get it that we just grind into sausage. I would suggest any of the following:

Neck fillet (uk/Europe, SE Asia)
    Smoked neck bones, hocks, etc. for stews
    Secreto (Spanish skirt like steak)
    There are good smaller roasts in the front shoulder, perfect for Kassler
    Salo or schmaltz
    Cracklins
    Jowl bacon
    Porchetta trussed and cut into more manageable steaks, possibly after freezing
    Smoked chops
    Blood sausage or any number of sausages really
    Head cheese
    Etc.