1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

who likes cocobolo

Discussion in 'Harner Knives' started by butch, Mar 13, 2015.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

just restocked my cocobolo should loook great with a few O1 blades but since its a large hunk im sure i ll have some left when i order more XHP
    11043065_10203492771550565_9113521561247430379_n.jpg

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. butch

butch Founding Member

its much nicer then the last big board of cocobolo i had got. i had been keeping an eye out for good big blocks but have been filling in with odds and ends of nice stuff as i found them. will not be buying smaller boards for good while.

4. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Holy crap, Butch! I hope your old bandsaw is up to the task! Nice stuff!

5. Very nice :) About the right size for a magnetic knife rack :)

6. butch

butch Founding Member

DC if the rack was nothing but cleavers ;) withought a tape i think its about 10 wide 1.5 thick and 48 inch long

7. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Let me know what you've got left when the next xhp order comes in.

8. I don't feel that bad about the mess in my car now, thanks Butch! Love the look of cocobolo, but it's a pain to put the finish I like on it.

9. But it would look good with a bunch of cleavers :p Wonder if Andy still has his collection :p

10. butch

butch Founding Member

anton i was going to pick up a work bench so alot of that mess is tiedowns (but yess i need to clean it out )
    andy sold off much of the collection a while back i think he only kept 2 or 3. the one i made for him was one of the last to go and he kind of buggered up the sale price. he missed the note i sent to him about what a new hand sanded cleaver would cost so he sold it for only a bit more then he paid (sold in under 5 min if i remember it right ) went to a good home tho. never fun watching some one have to clear out a collection due to needed funds but i guess it can be looked at as sort of a savings acc.

11. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

12. I know the feeling of having to liquidate, 3 years unable to work has sapped everything. We have now stabilized the cash bleed and treading water there but anything new requires a sell off of something old.

I've not quite gotten to the point of selling my knives just yet :p In fact yesterday I was allowed to prep a couple dishes for my daughters 20th B-Day today :) I ended up doing everything with my CCK cleaver, I am just to used to that knife LOL

13. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Nice movement in that grain. That's a gorgeous piece of wood.
    Where did you get it from?

14. butch

butch Founding Member

littel exotic wood place in frederick MD (ther are 2 and this was the first time i stopped in) the wood is priced like they know what its worth not like the other place that if you know how to look at the grain and "see into the wood" you can make out better. this place had some koa btu not worth the cost and i nice live edge wild olive but was milled to 3/4 inch thick

15. butch

butch Founding Member

should have a 240ish O1 chef with some of this cocobolo tomorrow

16. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

This stuff is too nice for a tester, right?

17. butch

butch Founding Member

18. Saul Goodman likes it, likes saying it anyways and would like a cocobolo desk for his new office.

19. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

20. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Gasp, really digging that.