1. Welcome to the KKF! Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp. Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Which one (or two...) is missing?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Epona, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Hello everybody! I decided to join here so that I get some help into completing my kitchen knives collection. I'm just home cooking, but appreciate the use of good quality knives. Here in my country Global is a brand that offers such good quality for an affordable price. Therefore, a few years ago I decided to switch to Global completely. Now I have come to the idea that something in my collection is missing, but I cannot decide exactly what?!

Mostly, I do European style cooking and generally prefer smaller type knives. My mostly used knives are the small Santoku and the vegetable chopper. Apart from the knives I have kitchen shears and a peeler. I probably wouldn't find any use for a cleaver.
    So, I will appreciate some wise thoughts. Thanks!

This is what I currently have:
    knifes.jpg

2. A few whetstones to keep your set sharp is all you need :)

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I would let a need drive that decision of a next knife. In other words is there a task that you do that might be more efficient with a different knife?

I dont see a long slicer in your kit?

4. Anton, currently I have a minosharp wheel sharpener. I find whetstones intimidating, I'm afraid I will ruin my knives, because I don't have the skill to use them. If I do get some, is the Global set with 220 and 1000 grid a good choice?

Jim, I probbaly miss something in the 15-16cm length range. Doesn't the 8.5" Slicer look good for slicing to you?

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

If a 220 mm slicer works ok for what you do then there is no need. I prefer much longer slicers like 300mm+.

6. Freehand sharpening isn't a rocket science and you shouldn't be intimidated by it. There are tons of very good videos about all aspects of freehand sharpening on youtube. You might want to look JKI videos as a good starting point.

I believe you could also find something interesting in our sharpening subforum