1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your one "Go To" knife?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Maxman, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

2. Birnando

Birnando Founding Member

I'd say my prototype Kato Gyoto.
    But I hope I never find myself in that position:)

3. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I couldn't officially say, and this topic comes up a lot...not that that's a bad thing.

Currently, I go between my Rader and my Billipp when I'm at home. At work, it's always my Harner mini gyuto.

I must admit that I'm really liking the convenience of stainless, at the moment. I love, and I mean love carbon, but it's not always ideal. With my Rader, I don't have to worry about it reacting with foods, or about leaving it on my board a bit too wet, which is pretty nice. The fact that it's the most impressive and comfortable knife I've held doesn't hurt either.

4. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

image.jpg This Mario 260. One of the first I got after the addiction took hold. I have used many since but this is still the one.

I told my sous 'I would sleep with this knife if I thought my wife would let me.'

Sous chef replies - 'you know you've mentioned that before, right?'

If I leave for work without it I feel empty all day.

5. turtle

turtle Founding Member

The knife I use more than any of the others I own is one I did NOT want to purchase. I only got it to get free shipping on 2 pizza peels. I believe the difference between paying for shipping and the cost of the knife was less than $10 as it was marked down on the site I was ordering from so it was a simple choice.

NOW...

It is my go to knife and it i rare when/if I pick up any other knife as that one is so comfortable in the hand I use it for everything from pealing ginger, to slicing to dicing, to smashing and mincing.

It is a rather thick and heavy knife but it is very nimble.

8" Messermeister Deba: http://www.messermeister.com/8-Inch-Deba-Knife/

[​IMG]

6. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Yeah hahaha might be funny but my go to knife right now is my kropp razor without a handle on it.

I use it to score baguettes.

7. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

I grab my thinned Zwilling-Kramer more than any other knife, right now. I wish the tip weren't quite so high but I have that knife in a really good place: very thin and tall grind, so it cuts great (it doesn't wedge at all in sweet potatoes or parsnips, which is very nice, though there is some sticktion), but the edge itself is just robust enough that I don't mind spatchcocking a chicken with it. For a daily driver, that's a good combination.

8. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Chuckles, you've been holding out on me! That there is a real beaut, Clark.

9. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Hey Chuckles, I feel you brother. I have test driven a couple of Mario's blades in the past and they are super BAD ASS!

Right now, I would have to say my go to knife would be the HHH "Espresso" line knife. That being said, my preferences change often. :)

10. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

This seems to change for me as I get a new knife to add to the rack. The newest one is often the current go-to, at least for a time anyway. Currently my go-to's are a HHH 240 gyuto and a HHH "Midway" line knife. I don't see a change in this for some time yet as these are really great knives to use.

11. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

don't have a one (sorry!) so depending on task at hand......

For general purpose board stuff there is this here gesshin hinoura 240 white #2 gyuto. Stays sharp, and handles just about everything. Really nice profile too. Touch and go at first, but I'm really settling into this particular knife for all around stuff.

[​IMG]

For detail work and smaller tasks I'm reaching for this 8" Moriah Cowles chef's. Love the flat tip on this one, and it's super duper double secret laser thin so just glides through almost anything. Flexy at the tip - sometimes a good thing - and that pointy point really feels like an extension of your finger (which I lay over the spine for detail stuff).

[​IMG]

for in-hand work, I'm starting to use this Cut Brooklyn prospect 120 in AEB-L. I was using a ginga 120 petty, but giving this a go for a while and liking the change. Not as thin as the ginga, so different feel, but still a good cutter and the seriously stabby point really helps with some things (and it's not very flexy).

[​IMG]

12. Huw

Huw Founding Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  13. Normally, Hiromoto 270. And if I really don't know what to expect I take Son's Latham & Owen:

[​IMG]