1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your one "Go To" knife?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Maxman, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Maxman

Maxman Founding Member

You know the one I'm talking about... that one knife that you pick up to use more often than the rest.
    For me, it's this nice Sabatier that I've had for a long time.
    I don't know what you'd call it exactly, but it's great.

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Lol well right now its my Masakage Yuki Nakiri... but we will see once aomething else arrves

3. Kim Bronnum

Kim Bronnum Founding Member

It would be my Kato "Workhorse". - 8 out of 10 times when I use a gyuto. Apart from this I use a 180 mm petty for most tasks.

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Can't say there's one go-to. I have a go-to for different foods--if I'm chopping a lot of garlic or herbs, I like to pull out the Rader. Slicing potatoes, it's the Shige. Cutting up dough in to roll-sized pieces, it's the ZK utility knife. Have to look at what I'm fixing for dinner before I decide on a knife.

5. Asteger

Asteger Founding Member

Currently first, this one:

[​IMG]

Second, a 240 Kato from JNS too.

6. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Kono HD2 240mm gyuto

7. timthebeaver

timthebeaver Founding Member

Zensho-Yoshikane SKD-12 migaki, 240mm.

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Right now it is a Rodrigue slicing cleaver, used for pretty much everything from carrots (cuts like butter) to PB and J for the kids. Its the jack of all trades.

9. Chop

Chop Founding Member

225 Marko Tsourkan more than any other.

10. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

Currently, it's my 8" Global chef, but I'm sure that will change once my Hiromoto AS 240mm gyuto arrives.

11. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Tanaka R2 240mm Wa handle. Usually not a fan of stainless, but the grind on it is amazing and edge retention is just sick!

12. panda

panda Founding Member

i would think most peoples 'go to' knife is which ever their favorite gyuto is. but there have been a few who says otherwise. if you are asking specific knife for me is takeda 270 cow sword (customized) :D

13. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Waiting for one of those as well. Otherwise, it varies. Right now I am using the 240 Blazen gyuto quite a bit.

Stefan

14. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I am finding myself using a 270 KS yanagiba more than anything else, but I cut a lot of fish. I need to try more yanagis so I can get a feel for the subtleties of the style.

15. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Don't cook often enough to have a go-to. I try to cycle through primary knives to see if I can coax myself into picking favorites.

However, I'll say that right now, the knives that get the nod from me unless I have another specific task are my Zakuri 135mm funayuki, Takamura 210mm gyuto and Sakai Yusuke 210mm.

16. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

At home it's 150 gesshin uraku

17. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I don't really have a specific 'go to' knife at the moment

18. Aphex

Aphex Founding Member

Right now it's the Itinomonn 180mm nakiri. It's a real veggie killer.

19. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

HHH 240mm Production Gyuto. (I currently have two of them.)

20. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

me: DT ITK, 240 AEB-L, (wa handle)

wife: HHH 240 AEB-L Production gyuto (western handle) with a second (a la cheflarge) as backup