1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What's Your Day Job?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Hattorichop, Jun 6, 2014.

1. As the title states, What's Your Day Job?

I'm an electrician, I come from a long line of electricians in my family. A few years back I broke away from the family business and joined the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers 804 in Kitchener Ontario. I currently work for a multi-trade contractor as a general foreman at the Toyota plant in Cambridge.

I can imagine a lot of you have some interesting day jobs and I bet some great stories I would love to hear. Please share!

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Been in retail for 15 years. Various levels. Stocker, sales, management, I've done it all. Not very interesting to be honest. Not anymore at least. I've seen and done everything so it's just "my job" now.

I can tell you countless stories though. Angry customers, angry employees, weird customers, thieves (external & internal), oddball truck drivers, backroom nookie between employees, on and on and on.
    The depths of retail would make a good reality TV show.

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

professional shower singer

4. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

I am currently working as an evaluator at a health department. Took the job because I desperately needed one at the time and was told a higher ranking - and paying - job was about to come up and could be an option for me. Hasn't happened, yet, so I am currently working in a job I am hopelessly overqualified for, being bored to death, wasting tax payer money... Drives me nuts but the jobs I want are rare and hard to get (and getting older doesn't help), and I can't take a lower paying one without going bankrupt because of loans on my back. Well, I guess I am not alone with being unhappy with the job, so I try making the best of it and keep looking. In spite of all the whining, I am much better off than a year ago, so somehow things are moving upward.

Stefan

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Right there with ya in terms of overqualified and bored to death. Right now my full time job is applying for full time jobs. I'm part time stocking shelves when I could be running the store. So I just have fun. I'm the most lively entertaining person there. I gotta be there so why be miserable.

6. software engineer by trade, actual job is somewhere in IT management.

7. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I use knives every day at my job. I hope you are all jealous of that, because we all know my pay is insanely lower than yours lol. :like

8. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Chef ,now instuctor of wannabe chefs.Fun fact- i would estimate only 1/100 chefs can sharpen properly.

9. Domestic heating engineer, self-employed for now, might go and work for a company again as it's hard sometimes when the work dries up when you work for yourself.
    Been doing it for 14 years and it's a job I like, it helps not being in the same place for more than half a day, really not cut out for an office job.
    Get to see all sorts with all the properties I go in, some good some not so good:D

10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Chef/hobbyist knife sharpener /salesman ;)

11. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

i work at a Mazda dealership in the parts department not fancy but i love the people i work with;)

12. Software engineer.

I grew up in a town that is often referenced as Detroit of Russia. The town that created Lada and few others models (as advanced of course). While almost every second person in our town worked on building cars, I started to learn computers from a very young age. Where learning mostly = playing games. And I played a lot. In the university we had our own semi-professional team of players and participated in all local championships playing Quake. Around that time Internet came to Russia and we needed to build a web site for our team. So I read some books and tutorials and created my first ever web site. Since then I keep creating web sites/services professionally. Worked for biggest Russian IT companies but didn't really liked it, so quit and now work in a very small company that creates software for US companies. And I'm slowly switching from web technologies to developing native apps for Android/iOS. Not the most exciting thing in the world but it pays my bills and still leaves enough time for hobbies.

Few hours a week I devote to handle making, and I find this hobby extremely satisfying. For the most part of my life I was writing code. You can't hold code in your hands, you can't show it to friend or Mother. Very few people could really understand the beauty of code. And handles are completely opposite: you touch them, you feel them and you can use them as gifts.

13. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Sous

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

copper

15. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

I was in research instrumentation support and IT for years, but I'm now an Instructional Technologist (designing online courses, faculty training, building learning objects, making instructional videos, supporting classroom multimedia equipment) on top of being research instrumentation support.

16. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Surveyed for 20 years, now switched it up, and am working a contract tending, and keeping oil wells in operation.

17. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

I turn big pieces of wood into little pieces of wood.
    and.....I make sawdust. I am really good at the sawdust part.
    I used to have a real job but I am happier doing this.

18. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Lawyer.

(PLEASE put down those sharp and pointed objects.)

19. Eh, married to one. It's not what it's cracked up to be.

20. butch

butch Founding Member

much like mark i make piles of dust (but i giggle liek a little girl when what im working one realy works right )