1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

what's the most efficient way to debone chicken thighs?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by apathetic, Mar 24, 2014.

1. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Right now I am trying to emulate this guy, although I never get it as clean as he does taking much more time... I wish his video was much more detailed

How do you guys do it?

2. LeperoftheFaith

LeperoftheFaith Founding Member

I've never been able to replicate this technique that well but it is the most impressive I've seen. Gotta love Pepin.

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I'm so making a gallatine on Thursday...

Both videos are really good. Pepin's may be easier to replicate. Both gentlemen have had years of practice and do it for a living. They will make it look easy. Just practice, practice, practice.

4. apathetic

Classic video! Last time I tried to emulate that I wasted quite a bit of the chicken.

5. Stereo.Pete

Stereo.Pete Founding Member

Same here, I've only done it once but there was quite a bit of waste although the end result was for sure edible.

6. ackvil

ackvil Founding Member

Takes a lot of practice to make it look that easy.

7. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I have got to try the gallatine!

8. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

My most efficient way is to have someone else do it, and buy it that way lol. Afraid im no help here, but man, me messing up what seems to be a very simple task as in the videos above looks to be fun

9. apathetic

Definitely worth trying it. You'll be having 'why is my chicken behaving differently than his' and 'why doesn't it go off as easily as in the video' moments :D

10. cclin

cclin Founding Member

Chinese way! use Chinese cleaver or western deba, if you use gyuto you'll end up chipping the edge.........

11. apathetic

Thanks for this posting this, will try it with my next batch of chickens. I'll try it first with my cheap Chinese cleaver. Although it should work well enough with a garasuki, shouldn't it?

12. apathetic

Tested this out during the weekend. Didn't manage to tear the chicken breast as cleanly as he does, but still got decent results. Will be practising :)

13. cclin

cclin Founding Member

All it takes is a little practice! now, I can debone a whole chicken just aboue 5 mins. take little be longer to debone chicken leg/thighs.
    20140401_210543.jpg

14. MattS

MattS Founding Member

5 min...Martin Yan does it in 18 seconds;).

Really though, nice work

15. cclin

cclin Founding Member

LOL, that is why I'm just a home cook not celebrity chef....
    thanks for the kind words!

16. apathetic

17. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

We have a cornfed chicken in our menu that we get whole, Debone the legs to make ballotine and we cook the breast bone in and carve after it's cooked . It takes me 2 minutes using similar to Pepins technique