1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats on the bench. Current projects. and other stuff

Discussion in 'HHH Custom Knives' started by HHH Knives, Feb 20, 2014.

1. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Some finished photos for EASTER!!!! Dont know about you. But this is way better the pink and blue hard boiled eggs!!!

Happy Easter everyone. God Bless YA!
    Randy

_MG_3218 (800x533).jpg _MG_3220 (800x533).jpg _MG_3222 (800x533).jpg _MG_3227 (800x533).jpg _MG_3232 (800x533).jpg _MG_3234 (800x533).jpg _MG_3236 (800x533).jpg

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Good heavens, a 3 d handle !

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Some crazy looking musk ox horn. Not that the knife needs more character, but the horn certainly helps.

5. HHH Knives

Got a few more in the works. fresh outa heat treat. They dont look all that amazing now. Nut just wait till ya see em finished out!

2 smaller knives. 2 are large paring in meteorite damascus, and one is well..... A extra small prep sorta knife. :) That one is Star feather damascus...
    One boning knife, in feather.. a nakiri and a nice tall prep monster in a NEW Delbert Ealy pattern.. Cant remember
    what he calls it. I think its AWESOME and had to get me a piece.. :)
    and a suji. ;)

Lots of fun stuff coming down the pipe!

_MG_3537.JPG _MG_3538.JPG

6. HHH Knives

Started processing some mammoth tooth this week.

_MG_4094 (800x669).jpg _MG_4095 (534x800).jpg

7. HHH Knives

8. HHH Knives

And heres a few getting ready for HT.

A yanagiba, and a funayuki and a gyuto. The Yani and Funi. will be single bevel. and the gyuto is a double bevel

Yani is Blue 2 with mosaic damascus clad. The Funi is all HHH damascus and the Gyuto is san mai. Stainless over Blue 2

Time to get my grind on!

_MG_4106 (800x533).jpg _MG_4107 (800x533).jpg _MG_4108 (800x533).jpg

9. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I can't wait to see what you and taro have planned here.

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

:like Plus One!!! :cool1 :jump

11. HHH Knives

Well. 2 out of 3 aint bad. I guess..

After sharing the last photos I went to heat treating the blade. First the san mai. Everything went great. : Then the Funayuki .. Perfect. RC tested at 66 out of quench.. Last the yanagiba.. I was VERY excited about this one. The steel Jr forged for it was epic... And that's when it happened. The blade came out of quench bent like a babana. Grr... As I worked on this blade straightening etc. I heard the dreaded PING.. of the steel cracking under the stresses of the HT and me trying to adjust it.. Grrrr.... Sorta a heart breaker..

Back to the drawing board on the Yani..

In the mean time... Today I ground the Urasuki into the Damascus funayuki. After I was happy with that I polished it out a bit.

San Mai Stainless over Blue#2 240mm Gyuto

Stay Sharp.
    Randy

_MG_4151 (800x533).jpg _MG_4156 (800x533).jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  12. Brad Gibson

did you put a bevel on the ura of the funayuki?

13. HHH Knives

A few pictures as I was grinding the bevel on it Brad.

_MG_4164 (800x533).jpg _MG_4173 (800x533).jpg _MG_4175 (800x533).jpg _MG_4172 (800x533).jpg

14. Brad Gibson

oh man im jealous!

15. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Brad, saw the blade yesterday ( in it's infancy)............MAN IS IT EVER SUPER BAD A__!!! :cool:

16. HHH Knives

_MG_4207 (800x534).jpg _MG_4197 (800x533).jpg

17. Brad Gibson

18. HHH Knives

;) Thanks for the chuckle! Im stoked on how this one is coming together.

Jr is forging the NEW mosaic damascus and will be forging that to a piece of Blue 2 again for the yanagiba.

Its a KNIFE LIFE!
    Randy

19. Wow, some of the best damascus I have ever seen. Do you forge all of it in house?

20. HHH Knives

Yes sir. 99% of the steel you see is forged in house. On rare occasions I do use steel from other makers.

My oldest son Randy Jr. Makes all of the HHH Damascus. Hes 24 years old and has been forging steel for about 5 years.

Stay Sharp
    Randy