1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats on the bench. Current projects. and other stuff

Discussion in 'HHH Custom Knives' started by HHH Knives, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

True functional art if I've ever seen it, absolutely beautiful! You and Randy Jr. make a great team! :eek:uch

2. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Thanks guys!

Blessings
    Randy

3. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Your handles are beautiful Randy. I want to mention that I find yours remarkably confortable in hand.

4. HHH Knives

Mikey!! Thanks brotha!

Heres a customer photo. Dream weaver damascus Birch and bog oak handle.

15209183_1293425344054337_1680810164_n.jpg

5. HHH Knives

Ill just leave these here.

Nakiri... IMG_1336 (800x533).jpg IMG_1339 (800x533).jpg IMG_1340 (800x533).jpg IMG_1342 (800x533).jpg IMG_1343 (800x533).jpg

6. HHH Knives

A couple in progress. San mai, Stainless over Blue#2 carbon core. with Meteorite damascus bolsters. [​IMG]

I get to slect the handle materials from my stash on these. Want to do matching. [​IMG] Decisions decisions.

Thanks for checkin out the thread please let me know what ya think

IMG_1593 (800x533).jpg IMG_1595 (800x533).jpg IMG_1597 (800x533).jpg IMG_1601 (800x533).jpg IMG_1612 (800x533).jpg

7. toddnmd

toddnmd Founding Member

Incredible pattern on those blades!

8. Randy, those are so incredibly beautiful... I actually got these pics in my Email for Tapatalk, so I'm guessing, they liked it too...

I"m not sure I would ever be able to talk myself into using something so beautiful...

wow.

9. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

:cool1 DAMN!!! :argo

10. HHH Knives

Thanks Guys and gals! Yep. They do look good . BUT will look even batter after some patina starts to develop from use!! :D

So today was all but a wash. I spent about 4 hours in the shop. trying to select the perfect combination of wood/spacer/pins etc. Im happy that I narrowed it down to 2 choices now for the wood. A deep colored Rosewood burl or lighter colored Gator pattern Afzilia .. Or maybe some natural colored spalted curly maple burl. Dang it. thats 3 lol

This part of a project for me has, and always will be one of the most important aspects of the knife. Its hard to really explain the way this part work. However, I will try. And try to do so in a way that a chef of cook might relate to.

So you as a chef are asked to prepare a important new dish for a friend or client. Or a new menu.. etc..
    You have the main ingredients selected.. Lets say Chicken and rice. And you have a unbelievable Pantry and fridge with every possible spice, ingredients you could imagine.. However. There are 1000 ways you can "choose" to prepare this chicken and rice. as well as the rest of the plate, sides. etc.. This is sorta the same as how it is for me to select the handle materials on a custom knife set like this..

I have, many hundreds of wood options. Then another dozen plus for spacers and or liners. and a endless number of possible spacers.Based off all of the different materials in my shop that "could be" made intro some form of spacer. and all must work with the pins and bolster and blade.. So my pantry is full of the very best stuff. None are "wrong" BUT one or two are PERFECT.. In the end. There are many "right" ways to go. But also adding one "wrong" spice or combining flavors that dont jell with the rest of the dish.. [​IMG] Well.... You see where Im going.

Similar to cooking, Often the end results will be a amazing.. Well seasoned and complement one another. But the very best plates are very carefully thought out, assembled with a perfect combination that is cooked, seasoned, and prepared and presented perfectly... These are what we might call. exceptional. Which is what I strive for, and why this is so important to me when I am making a custom knife.

OK so yea. lol I may be CRAZY.. [​IMG] I just spent another hour+ looking at materials.. I needed to walk away for a minute and reflect. Im down to 2 handle material choice. and have selected the spacer/liner/pins.

Blessings
    Randy

11. HHH Knives

:D

IMG_1848 (800x533).jpg IMG_1850 (800x533).jpg IMG_1849 (800x533).jpg

12. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

I must have ate some wild mushrooms. I'd swear
    I was looking at some technicolor knives. Ridiculously cool. I better lay down for a while.;)

13. cheflarge

OMG!!! DUDE! I must see these in person!?!? :cool1 :pop :jump :argo

14. HHH Knives

Mikey!! Its the SHROOMS!!! :D

Chef. You know the way up here! Come one!!!

These are still waiting. I have a 4 piece set in progress now. and the paring knives will have to wait for a bit.

Fresh out of Heat Treat. Feather damascus 4 pieces.
    IMG_1884 (800x533).jpg

15. This thread is getting seriously trippy, man!

Crazy cool stuff Randy

J :)

16. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Randy you continue to amaze me! Someday baby, SOMEDAY!

17. HHH Knives

workin on a few for a client..

IMG_1897 (800x533).jpg IMG_1898 (800x534).jpg IMG_1901 (800x533).jpg IMG_1902 (800x533).jpg IMG_1903 (800x533).jpg

18. cheflarge

WHAT A SET!!! :pop :jump :cool1

19. HHH Knives

Im just havin way to much fun over here! :D

Making great progress on these and will share more pictures ASAP

Thanks for the comment Chef.

20. That set should be illegal, that could seriously kill someone of envy.