1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats on the bench. Current projects. and other stuff

Discussion in 'HHH Custom Knives' started by HHH Knives, Feb 20, 2014.

1. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

I received word that this lefty made it safe to Australia! Thanks Ian for the opportunity to make you a cutter!

On to the next one! Here is a THOR inspired cleaver project Im working on. And THANKFULLY, things are moving forward again on other projects and orders again. Blackwood Saya Cleaver will have a blackwood and stainless handle with a Thor hammer buttcap. Stay tuned for more images and updates.

Blessings
    Randy

thor8.jpg thor4.jpg

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. scotchef38

scotchef38 Founding Member

Very cool so far

4. HHH Knives

:D Thanks. IF all goes well its gona be cool!!! :cool:

5. HHH Knives

So after a LONG day working on this handle. I had to set it down and wait. It just was not cooperating. Ill get back after it again once I hear the VIKING YELL!

In the mean time. I have been grinding some other steel, Heat Treating a few blades. Testing a new grind. Took Saturday off and shared a great meal with good friends. Thanks Chef!

Blessings

6. HHH Knives

Hey Guys. Heres one Im pretty stoked about. Its a Blue#2 core stainless clad blade. In a blade pattern I have been toying with offering as a "option" The blade on these will be around 220mm. The spine thickness on these will be hefty compared to my standard gyuto. And the grinds will have a nice distal taper, yet be a work horse style grind. Something that would be very usable as a all day knife in a pro setting. Rounded spine and choil.

The handle shape is a cross between a Wa shape and a western construction. As far as I know is was first done by my friend Delbert Ealy. Many have done this since, myself included. The "shape" is where mine is different. the front and back of the handle will mirror each other. in shape. So sorta a Don Nguyen look. Yet different as its overall shape will be more like a standard Wa. (octagon) shape. With a gentle taper both in height and in thickness from front to back.

So enough chit chat. Here are a few images of the ground and finished blade. I hope to have some handles on this one soon. I plan to do a subtle yet beautiful combination of materials with my spacer set up and a single mosaic HHH pin.

What do ya think of the profile and look of the blade? Any critiques or ideas that may be helpful in making this new style a HUGE hit among the KKF crowd welcomed.

Blessings
    Randy

IMG_7930 (800x364).jpg IMG_7937 (800x533).jpg IMG_7933 (800x533).jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  7. HHH Knives

LMAO!! :D

8. I'm very interested to see how the handle turns out, blade looks great.

It is hard to imagine the handle even with your very good description =)

9. HHH Knives

Mike. I should have it together this week and will share some images. Thanks for the comment. ;)

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Testing prototype?!?!?!!! :jump

11. HHH Knives

Chef. This one is already spoken for. But a few more of this style/size/material. will be coming down the pipe relatively quickly! That said. A discussion about a pass around is probably best suited for its own thread.. ;) And your already on the list that I have not even began yet..

12. cheflarge

+ 1 :pop :jump :like :cool1

13. HHH Knives

Been working on a couple Damascus proto types.

IMG_7995 (800x480).jpg IMG_7993 (800x516).jpg IMG_7992 (800x533).jpg IMG_8010 (800x533).jpg IMG_8006 (800x534).jpg IMG_8009 (800x471).jpg

14. cheflarge

BAD ASS!!! Especially like the pattern on the gyuto, on the bottom, in the pics. :cool:

15. HHH Knives

Thanks Chef! That Jr. just keeps on impressing.. ;)

16. HHH Knives

IT HAS BEGUN!! Doing a very limited run of PRE BUY on these.
    The HHH Workhorse Gyuto is in process. These are San Mai Forged by Randy Jr. Composed of Hitachi Blue#2 core with stainless cladding. 210mm blades.. Approx 55mm tall at the heal and 3.75mm thick above the heel. . Will have Ironwood handles and be Heat treated to a Rockwell of 62/63. Rounded spine and choil..

Im pretty stoked about this batch and will also be doing some K tip paring knives with Ironwood handles and same san mai.

Snapped a few shop pictures as I was working on these to share. Stay Sharp my friends!

IMG_8414 (800x533).jpg IMG_8425 (800x533).jpg IMG_8427 (800x533).jpg IMG_8430 (800x533).jpg IMG_8431 (533x800).jpg IMG_8439 (800x533).jpg IMG_8453 (800x533).jpg IMG_8458 (800x533).jpg IMG_8463 (800x533).jpg IMG_8465 (800x533).jpg IMG_8468 (800x533).jpg

17. cheflarge

Damn, dude! Darn sexy looking, sir. :cool:

18. HHH Knives

Thanks Chef! BTW. I got something for ya. Ill give ya a call later this week or weekend!

19. HHH Knives

Maple never looked so good! Kato re handle with Black wood molar and spalted maple.

IMG_8568 (800x534).jpg IMG_8569 (800x533).jpg IMG_8572 (800x534).jpg IMG_8574 (800x533).jpg IMG_8575 (800x533).jpg IMG_8577 (800x533).jpg IMG_8591 (800x534).jpg IMG_8600 (800x533).jpg IMG_8608 (800x533).jpg

20. That is beautiful!!