1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Jim, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

2. image.jpg Butts cooked sous vide (coated with rub before being vac-sealed) for 18 hours at 165. Finished in the oven with a simple sugar/vinegar paste at 300, raised to 500 for the last few minutes before shredding into fall-apart chunks. Fed ten people easily with plenty of leftovers for sandwiches. :D

3. Jim

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Easy dinner tonight. Sausage, eggs, grits. Had a cup of coffee and did something I haven't in several years--put a dollop of bourbon in. Why has it been so long since I've done this? It's wonderful.

Great looking pork products, Jim and Doc!

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Those look great.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Looking good Jim. are the casings natural? How long do you smoke brats?

8. Jim

Doc that pork look great!
    Mike they were smoked for 1.5 hours half at 230 and half at 275. cherry wood.

9. Jim

20161107_104858.jpg 20161107_171540.jpg 20161108_174659.jpg Gave Kassler Ripchen a try after having it again this October.
    Lightly cured a peice of pork loin, smoked it gently to 150 internal with cherry then let it rest overnight wrapped tightly.
    Sliced and grilled. Served with kraut, roasted beets and untipicaly broccoli rabe.
    Not to bad for my first try.

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

that looks great Jim
    did the loin come out moist? I've tried simlar and found mine on they dry side. is the wrapping part of this?

11. Jim

It was pretty good Mike. Some of it depends on the quality of the meat.
    As this was my first shot I used supermarket pork. Traditionally its made from a rib roast. I would use some nicer meat next time.

12. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Lucretia, when you say dollop, we're talking... anything else in there?

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

a turkey breast smoked for a few hours. first time I used and injection of broth. I used a butter, chicken broth and Cajun spices. Pulled it at 165. It was PDG. nice and juicy and tasty. didn't get any post slicing photos though. smoked turkey.jpg smoked turkey-2.jpg

14. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Thanksgiving prep underway for the traditional pizza. Sauce and poolish for the dough.

Farmers' market tomatoes with some oven roasted romas, lots of fresh garlic, basil, some fennel seed, olive oil & salt. And a splash of chili oil for some heat. Ready to cook down until thick.

Thanks16_1.jpg

What a 1/4 tsp yeast does to 2 c of flour and 2 c of water if you leave it sit on the counter overnight:

Thanks16_2.jpg

The sauce is cooked down and the dough is all mixed up, and both are aging and developing flavor for the next few days.

15. Toothpick

Oooo boy. That's going to be tasty, I just know it.

I reckon it's the traditional stuff around here this year. Turkey and all the fixins'

16. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Just not a big fan of turkey. Especially when I can eat pork.

Mike, I'll have you know that there was at least a tablespoon of coffee in with the bourbon. It was an old bottle and the cork had broken off inside. Had to pour the bourbon through a coffee filter to get the grunge out.

17. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

That turkey had a decidedly porky taste to it :bacon

18. Mike, that looks awesome!

Lucretia, I would love to do pizza but my family and friends would revolt.

Sweet potato pie:

image.jpg

19. Jim

Nice looking turkey and bacon roast Mike!
    Lucretia I hope we can see the pie before it disapears.
    Doc that looks like some serious pie. lots of love on a plate if I had to guess.

I am having dinner at my nephews with the family, the next generation is taking over... although they demanded my deviled eggs be brought.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

20. Toothpick