1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with a broken tang

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by chefcomesback, Jun 17, 2014.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I have been little over ambitious with one of project my knives and after quench while trying to straighten the tang I snapped it from the blade. I have annealed to blade and the broken tang with the hope of salvaging maybe at least the blade.
    Can I weld them together and heat treat? Or is my only option to make it a smaller knife ?

2. Is it a full or hidden tang, and how much of the tang is left? A pic would be helpful.

3. chefcomesback

Hidden tang , snapped right from where it connects to the blade
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403133438.123094.jpg

4. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Looks like you created a stress riser, by not allowing a radius where the tang transitions to the shoulders. It isnt in a critical area, so grind a little bevel on the snapped piece, align and mig/stick weld. Clean it up and HT. You may be left with a cosmetic line at the weld, but if you push the heel/machi forward, you can hide it in the handle. It wont harden, but should hold.

5. I did not understand a single word of the above. Good luck mert

6. chefcomesback

Translation I have tried run before crawl , effed up :) Rami

Thank you for suggestion Pierre , unfortunately after some inspection I found hairline cracks at the tip of the blade, so this batch is going into the scrap bin:(

7. Pierre is right on all counts. bummer about the cracks.

8. Bill Burke

Bill Burke Founding Member

Mert you can weld like Pierre said how ever you are going to need to thermal cycle the welded area I would do it at least three times. If you don't do this the welded zone will be more prone to breakage than it was before. Also don't cut the machi for the tang/ handle to such a sharp angle. I don't do mine until after the blade is hardened. Heat the weld and tang to a black heat just going into dark red after you harden temper the blade. This will make it softer and less likely to break again. Then just make a smaller blade from it to get rid of the crack at the tip.
    A Santorum is just a gyoto with the tip broken off after all

9. chefcomesback

Thank you for your explanation Bill, I have learnt not the leave the tang area like that hard way :) I am going to experiment welding a tang on one of my "shortened " blades to see how it comes out

10. Bill Burke

Bill Burke Founding Member

Good luck mate. if ya need anything else don't be afraid to ask.

11. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I had been wondering what a Santorum is for some years. ;)

Autoincorrect, I assume.....

12. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Wow. Pierre and Bill giving advice. How awesome was that?

13. Yep that is awesome.

14. chefcomesback

It is awesome :)

15. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Pretty darn cool, brother Mert! :)

16. That's because everyone loves Mert!!

:D

17. chefcomesback

I am not sure about that :)!but can tell you this forum has been a great help for me and i truly appreciate Jim hosting this forum and the vendors and members sharing their knowledge . Thank you again

18. chefcomesback

Thank you all again for your help, when life gives you broken tangs, you make santokus I guess!!
    Here is a preview
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415440896.604331.jpg
    It is 175mm on the edge and will get a Hawaiian mango and claro walnut handle

19. Well that looks like a great save! from broken tang to sweet looking santoku, nice!
    What actually is the difference between a santoku and small gyuto, is it just a profile thing?

20. chefcomesback

Thank you , the reason I called this one santoku is the tip is quite low and it's between santoku and a short but tall gyuto