1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What podcasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Chuckles, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I love podcasts. I listen to them all the time. According to my Stitcher app I have listened to 2040 hours of podcasts since I started with the app.

Two that I have found recently are:

99% Invisible - it is loosely based on how good design should be close to unnoticeable while taking a big picture worldview.

Serial - this one is a spin off from This American Life. It features long format stories that takes weeks to fully conclude. It is still in its first story and it is excellent.

So what podcasts do you listen to? Anything we might not have heard of?

2. Chuckles, you left out your all-time favorite: Anything by Garrison Keillor!

3. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Serial. Awesome. I'm saving them up for a road trip next week, then I will binge.

4. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

TAL all the way. And I just heard the first episode of Serial last week off their show, and I am going to start listening to that one.

Other than that, the MOTH is amazing. I'm sure you have heard them if you listen to TAL. After that some regular NPR-related podcasts round out my listening: Fresh Air and All Songs Considered. I also listen to Freakonomics once in a while. I used to listen to Justice Talking and Science Friday, but no longer have time. In the past I listened to some music ones like Contrast Podcast out of the UK, but I found them too fickle to devote much time too. They usually go for a few years and then die.

k.

5. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I also like radiolab, I just wish I had time to catch up to them all. I've been ploughing through TAL for years and am nowhere close to having heard them all.

6. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

-Yep, Radiolab is good
    -Hardcore History by Dan Carlin is excellent. Start with Wrath of the Khans and you'll be hooked.
    -Joe Rogan can be entertaining

7. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I listen to a lot of lecture series out of Berkeley, scientific American, nova, grammar girl, legal lad...a number of others. There are about 80 I keep up with. Since I started in 2006, I've probably listened to 1000+ hours a year with all of my work travel. I find them so much better than music.

8. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I have nothing against Garrison Keillor on a personal level. Except I hate the sound of his voice. He shouldn't be allowed to sing and I think the world would be a better place if his show went away.

I love Fresh Air and am a fan of long format interviews in general. I find Marc Maron can do a great interview if he has a good guest.

Also Stuff You Should Know has it's moments. It used to be a go to for me but other shows are overtaking it now. Anything they do on the brain is really good. I also loved the episode on epigenetics.

And the TED Radio hour is good.

9. Fatman on batman but I'm a comic geek and Kevin Smith is awesome

10. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Garrison Keillor is grating, but I hate Tom Ashbrook from On Point. Stupid questions and two dimensional guests make for a boring show.

11. - Serial
    - The Heritage Radio Network has a bunch of good shows - Dave Arnold (inventor of the Searzall) has one on their called Cooking Issues & the whole Chef's Story series is quality listening

12. Freakonomics!! Interesting topics and they go where the facts take them. Since I believe a lot of people buy electric cars as a status symbol I would recommend the show "conspicuous conservativism" They also mention how studies show that people tend to have their solar panels street side even if the rear or side with be more efficient.

Foodwise they also interview Nathen Myhrvold about his Modernist Cuisine cookbooks.

I will be adding hardcore history to my list.

13. Joe Rogan, You Know What Dude, and occasionally My Wife Hates Me. Huge fan of comedy...the more 'off color' the better :) And Harcore History is awesome as well!!

Chris

14. I wish I could listen to Joe Rogan, but I usually have my kids in the car. I have a stand-up CD of his from a loooooooong time ago called "I'm gonna be dead someday". It's by far one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
    Where do you guys source your podcasts from? I'm not an Apple user, does that make it difficult to get podcasts?

15. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I use the Stitcher app. I like it quite a bit but have never used anything else. It's gotta be available for devices other than apple. Makes it easy to search for shows and create favorites and playlists.

This time of year the 'Fantasy Focus' fantasy football podcast from espn gets most of my drive time.

16. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

Ok. New Show. Called 'Here's the Thing'

Interview show hosted by Alec Baldwin. First interview is Ira Glass, second is Julianne Moore.

Check it out.

17. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I just started listening to Welcome to Nightvale. Weird. Really Weird.

My girlfriend just pointed out we may be living in the golden age of free radio content.

18. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I think she is on to something. It seems like quality new shows are popping up left and right.

19. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

You can stream from his site or download.
    http://podcasts.joerogan.net/

20. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor