1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What knives make a complete knife set?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Toothpick, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Well I fell down the knife hole, climbed up and stumbled straight in to the shaving hole, got a toe in the fountain pen hole and lets not even mention all the fishing gear:confused:

2. Yeah that will be scary, I have had really good knives but nothing amazing yet like a Shigefusa or similar

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Shigefusa is a good place to start!

Take your time and spend at least 100% more than you think you really want to. In the long run you will not miss the money.

4. butch

butch Founding Member

12 inch slicer 10 inch chef 8 inch nakiri 4 steak knives (that act as utilitys ) and 3inch ish parer

5. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Chinese cleaver
    180mm petty
    120mm petty/parer

6. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I personally never use a paring knife. My kit would be

240mm gyuto
    165mm deba
    150mm petty
    210-270mm sujihiki
    270mm yanagiba

7. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

75mm parer , nothing fancy usually I use to open boxes anyway
    165-180mm petty
    270mm gyuto
    270 mm suji
    Beater any size yo deba , cleaver , Henckels etc

8. First they told you all you need is gyuto. Later you discover, that one gyuto is good, two gyutos are betters, and >3 guytos are terribly not enough!
    Substitute gyuto with any other style of knives, and it still will be true.

9. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

And you don't see the obvious logic to this?:D

10. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

A hankotsu is really intended for hanging butchery and works best with an overhand grip. Makes a helluva steak knife, too. I think a honesuki is a more reasonable choice for a boning knife, but when was this hobby about reason?

Love your Misono carbons!

11. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

honesuki seems like a delicate knife. I prefer a deba for a boning task. I dont have to be scared hitting bones with it.

12. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I've read that about the hankotsu, but I find it is much more versatile than a honesuki, which is pretty much a single purpose blade. I find the hankotsu is also much more maneuverable when cutting close to the bone.

13. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

A honesuki is delicate? It's the first knife I reach for when the revenuers knock on the door.

14. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I better get 2 of those.