1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a micro Bevel

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by James, Feb 27, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I've seen reference to this more then a few times, seems to come up on knives with weaker edges, maybe I'm wrong on that, but anyone want to explain this to me ?

(Maybe I should just start a new guys questions thread for quick simple stuff like this)

2. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Microbevel is a bevel which is super tiny and it makes your edge stronger. If done properly it should look like a hairline on your edge. When you are doing microbevel you should use high grit stone, rise angle a lot and make a few passes on one side only. Then deburr on other side with your normal angle. This will make your edge much stronger and will remove burr from normal sharpening. Jon feom JKI have a nice video about micro bevels.

3. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

People make this much more complicated than it needs to be.

When you're done sharpening, raise the spine up 5-10 degrees and give it a couple more strokes. That's a microbevel. This (1) dulls the knife slightly, and (2) makes it less likely to chip. The end.

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

thanks guys, thought it was something like that, although I didn't realizer it was only on one side of the blade

5. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

It does not have to be on one side. Plenty of guys micro bevel both sides of the edge.

6. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Here is a pic of a single bevel, with a micro bevel. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

7. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Microbevel is something one should avoid at all cost on every-single-possible blade, apart from deba.

Touch up goes under same definition.

8. William Catcheside

William Catcheside Founding Member

I think the thing with Micro bevels is too really keep them tiny. Go to zero on the bevel then set a micro bevel at a substantially higher angle, with a few light backstrokes of a 6k plus stone. strop to the lower angle not the micro bevel. This works for me. I use it on most stuff, even if your steel will take a lower angle to a zero bevel, the micro bevel still makes the edge last longer and easier to maintain with no loss of cutting efficiency.
    Another Tip, when thinning, set the steeper bevel first, then thin it away at the lower angle, establish the micro bevel atain after thinning. This speeds the whole process up a bit and helps with control......

9. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

William, when sharpening the knife, how do you account for this micro bevel, or do you just sharpen in the usual way?