1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What I'm Up To

Discussion in 'Sharp and Shiny Shop' started by Lefty, Feb 19, 2014.

1. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Nice, I love the lacing toy. Of course it would need a disclaimer that kids could swallow it, it is not dishwasher safe, and some people might develop allergies... ;)

Stefan

2. butch

butch Founding Member

yep my 2 biggest worries woudl be reaction to the wood or finish or if one of the bits cracked apart and was injested
    then again toys like that have been around a dam long time sooooo

3. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Thanks, guys! It's about the size of a small dinner plate, with the pieces being bigger than a toonie... Oh, right, we aren't all Canadian. Bigger than a poker chip. Actually, a fair bit bigger than one. The finish is just old school beeswax and mineral oil. :D

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

I'm familiar with a loonie, but had to look up a toonie. Thanks for adding a little bit of knowledge to my addled brain this morning, Tom.

Maybe we'll get smarter about larger denomination coins here south of the border.

5. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Wasn't "toonie" used as a derogatory slang against cartoon people in Roger Rabbit?

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Likely... Canadians are just PRETEND polite. We're, in reality, just very sly....

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Here's what I got up to, today, as the little man was at Grandma's. :)

[​IMG]

Three Sayas got roughed out, and two are currently getting glued-up. I only have so many clamps, ya know. :D

And this. It was meant to be a ready-made handle, available for sale, but an outstanding order might be interested in it, so we'll see what happens.

[​IMG]

This one still needs a couple grits of paper, a brand, and some gunstock oil, but it's already looking pretty nice, if I do say so myself. Solid blackwood, and padauk.

Hope you guys like the direction these are headed. Thanks for looking.

8. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

the handle on that carter looks cool, did you make that one too?

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Finally finished up the saya for the Carter, and hope to get one more, maybe two complete, this afternoon as the little man naps. Here's the Carter:

[​IMG]

Hope you all like it. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  10. that handle on the carter is shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhweeet

11. Rick

12. Gorgeous man!

13. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Konosuke HD. Brazilian Walnut. Love.

[​IMG]

14. Rick

15. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Thanks, Rick. I had a few great conversations with some smart guys about a bunch of different things (Andy, Pierre, Luke, Mareko, Butch, Bob...), and I got past a bit of a tough stretch, and think I have made some serious strides. I'm glad others are noticing, as well.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  16. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I've been busy. :)

Billipp & McLean 250 gyuto:

[​IMG]

Vintage Mystery Carbon - Reprofiled and regrind by me. Handle coming soon:

[​IMG]

Three Harner-McLean parers. Two are for sale (one is spoken for), and the other is my wife's. :) These are just before glue-up. The fronts were also polished up after this pic. Tips and edges coming soon. Haha.

[​IMG]

17. Rick

18. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

are they still for sale what are the specs

19. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

It's the mark he is now using to differentiate between pieces that I am finishing up, instead of him doing the work. His stuff is still "Harner III". :)

20. butch

butch Founding Member

i have been using LRH for a few years for blade blanks that are mostly finished (read that as ready to be handeled ) still my grind still my HT