1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

What grinder is in your shop

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by JBroida, Apr 16, 2014.

1. butch

butch Founding Member

i started with a 4x36+ disc grinder (wrong grinder for sure ) next was the delta 1x42 and whiel i made many a knife on it and its plenty cheap. you do have to mind the belt speed to keep from over heating the blades. next up for most are the 2x72 grizly grinders (i skipped this and lucked into a used KMG )
    so its 1x42 if you must but nearly any 2x72 will be much better (even the build it your self ones) super grit has good slection of belts for both sizes

2. I have a 3 speed, 2hp, KMG and a variable speed 3hp Wilmont Little Buddy. I am still looking for a 12ov 1HP grinder that I can wheel outside when grinding handle material so I don't get wood/synthetic dust all over my shop.

3. Wow, this forum rocks. I think both the on-topic and off-topic content in this thread are valuable. I have a 1x42 Delta that screams like a banshee (overly loud and fast) and a Grizzly 2x72. I think I am going to run a belt from the shaft of the left side of the grizzly to get a slower-speed option.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406773653.178352.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406773674.675478.jpg
    I'm pretty new. And focused on razors for now. That chiminea contains my brake drum forge. Fun stuff, but has only been fire a few times.

4. Just got my Pheer 454 in today, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to what I WAS using, it's a night and freakin day difference.

[​IMG]

:)

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

6. Holy cow dude, I just realized that is a Pheer. I thought it was an Esteem or something. Looks like Pheer upped their game??

7. Yep, it's a pretty solid piece. The shipping weight with no motor was over 80lbs. After a day of working with it, I absolutely couldn't be happier. Seriously.

8. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

This showed up a few weeks ago! Still looking to set up the electrical for it, so haven't put it to use, but I'm stoked!
    [​IMG]

Once it is set up, I'm going to take Hoss's advice and start playing with making paring knives.

9. Taylor, if you need help wiring it, let me know.

10. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Shouldn't be a problem, but the electrical box for the house needs to be replaced (it has been know to cause fires), just need to coordinate with the power company and inspectors. Who knew updating a house from the 70's would be this much work (OK, I know this answer, but my time is being eaten alive). I appreciate the offer though. If I were doing this myself, I can see myself without power for a couple days. I'm being very careful not to electrocute myself, or create a fire hazard. On a side note, just hooked up a new stove today, so may invite you over soon just for a dinner party.

11. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Im loving this thread. Lots of great looking stuff and info. Thanks everyone for sharing.

I have a few grinders currently.
    a custom made 1 X 42" that is a awesome little grinder!
    a 2x72 Griz that has become the dedicated grinder for the Hot side of the shop.
    I secured a TW-90 and sold off a self made 2 X 72 grinder. Now wish I would of kept it!
    Most resent addition is a 14" wheel 3 hp VFD driven monster That runs anything form a 2 X 60 to a 2 X 96" belt. From 0 to 28000 surface feet per minuite. Its a scary monster that will bite you if your not careful! I plan to convert this one to a BIG wheel grinder. A saddle set up. for doing kitchen knives.
    And last but not least is the surface grinder converted to run 2 X 72" belts! I cant imagine EVER being without this machine or one similar again!

Shop day two 028 (800x533).jpg Shop day two 026 (800x533).jpg Shop day two 019 (800x533).jpg Even Heat Oven, shop pics 033.JPG Even Heat Oven, shop pics 044.JPG

12. butch

butch Founding Member

never sell a good grinder randy .... tisk tisk ;)

13. Randy, I was talking to Jr on the phone and he was describing the capabilities of the belt conversion on the surface grinder. That talk convinced me to make the conversion and I am very happy I did it.

14. I have a kmg clone grinder i built. It is ok and I have been able to do about 60 blades on it so far. I wish I had a stronger direct drive motor and a VFD but the belt and step pulley os working for now. I like to run a 36" radius platen at an angle with some slack areas on top and bottom of the platen. I do all free hand grinding and this setup allows for some real interesting possibilities.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]