1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wet Shaving?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by PierreRodrigue, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I attempted the SR once and I finished the tricky parts with a DE too.

2. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

3. Toothpick

4. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Is there a SE razor that accepts DE blades without modification to the razor head or the blade?

5. Toothpick

I thought I saw a shavette that took a full DE blade, but now I can't seem to recall the name or even find it online.

6. I picked up two pretty rough Gillette's a while back and sent them off for some tlc with Captain Murphy, one of the great guys on Badger & Blade.

A Rocket HD(top) and a Popular, before pic
    before.jpg

and after some serious cleaning, polishing and mechanical work
    after.jpg

Then off to be replated at RazorPlate, here are the results!!
    shiny.JPG
    shiny2.JPG shiny5.JPG shiny6.JPG

7. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Very nice.

8. Toothpick

9. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Great looking pieces there warren

10. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

11. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

Sweeeeeet!!!

12. Thanks guys! The Popular had bent teeth and the mechanism wasn't working properly, but that was all sorted out and then sent for the great replating job.

13. My Top Five Classic Shaving Soaps

14. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

I've made a good bit of progress with straight razors recently!! I got a Ralf Aust 5/8" round tip from SRD and a new strop from them as well. Also picked up a Naniwa 1K and 12K to go with my Norton 4/8K stone. The RA razor was honed by Lynn Abrams, so I finally had a truly shave ready edge to inspect under magnification to compare to mine and also to use. I saw the razors that I honed didn't have the bevels fully set to the very edge, so I was able to get many of my razors up to shave ready condition. I've picked up several more SR's, (in the mid 20's now for razors!) and have gotten good shaves with many of them. I learned the smiling blade works wonders on my tough neck hairs. I have a slant bar DE on the way for the neck area to try as well along with some new soaps, more brushes, etc.

Best razor so far? A smiling Iwasaki Tokiwa I picked up for $50 :) It was pretty sharp, but wouldn't tree top arm or belly hair, so I went thru a sharpening progression on it, stropped and shaved. Best shave I have gotten with a SR to that point! Even my neck was 99% BBS! I have a CW Sheehan, Frederick Reynolds and a G. Wostenholm Pipe razor that all have smiles as well. The round points and smiling blades are my favorite so far and I seem to cut myself less with them, but I did survive a bloodless shave with a near wedge square point this morning, so I am improving!

15. Jim

Great report Tim, keep at it shooting for a comfortable shave and the closeness will arrive soon enough.

16. Stopped off at a local antique mall looking for old bottles to photograph and came out with zero bottles... but did manage to break down and pick up 3 new razors... I think they are the first razors I've picked up in a couple years, can't recall really the last ones I got...

Henry Martin - Hamburg, Blonde horn, square tip, and about a half grind (nice and sturdy) 6/8
    Wade & Butcher - Bow tang, deep etching on blade face, 6/8. Looks as if someone tried to clean it up decades ago.
    Double Duck Spcl #1, tang black but with a touch of active rust in it will be sad to see it go.

All 3 for $50 so I'm not worried about the issues. Hope to get them up and running soon. I have not had time to photograph them properly yet...

17. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Anyone know where I can buy a quality boar knot? Thanks.

18. Toothpick

19. Jim

You could try Rudy Vey at ultimate pen designs, PM him at B&B may be the easiest to get hold of him.

20. Toothpick