1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wet Shaving?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by PierreRodrigue, Feb 17, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

slow small strokes Warren

2. Maybe tomorrow, got a few days with no work
    next week so I can afford to have some battle scars for a few days!

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Doh!

I promise, that will be the last time that happens....keep at it.

5. MattS

MattS Founding Member

This is easy....stop dinking with kitchen knives for a bit....I promise, they do not need near as much sharpening as you think they do....straights on the other hand.....

6. Found this little kit in a store a few days ago, nothing amazing but I hardly find anything in the wild so it's just nice to get anything!
    find.JPG find2.JPG find3.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

8. It was pretty clean but I gave it a good wipe down to disinfect it, tempted to give it a try out!

9. Toothpick

10. Well only the blades with it actually fit, modern DE blades don't, gave it a try anyway, OUCH!!!! rip, tug, ouch, the old blades looked great with no corrosion but wow they are pretty dull, maybe they lose their edge with age and exposure or something?
    Oh well it looks nice in the case!

11. Toothpick

dang! that sucks the bad shave. and the blades.
    I bet they are carbon steel blades. carbon is a real doozy

12. Hmmmm carbon eh? might give one of them a little going over on my high grit stone and strop them and see if it improves at all, bit of delicate sharpening fun for the rest of the evening

13. Toothpick

If they are vintage they are likely carbon.

14. They are definitely vintage, they are a little thicker and less flexible than the modern blades, worth a quick go on the sharpening stone just for my curiosity.

15. Toothpick

16. will do, going to wait until the morning, 11pm now and feeling a little tired, sharpening tiny razor blades while sleepy is a bad idea I guess!

17. Toothpick

18. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Through the BnB gift exchange was lucky to receive a nice shave ready straight which I finally gathered the guts to give a go after a lot of reading and you tube watching. decided to just start with the sides and finish the neck and chin with the trusty old tech, while unnerving at first and a little awkward it was an experience and skill I will now need to learn completely! Another rabbit hole is all my bank account needs.... need to hit the flea market for an old one or two to learn to hone as well I suppose.