1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome MARTIN MCINTYRE

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Jim, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Welcome @MARTIN MCINTYRE

Please join me in welcoming our newest member, MARTIN MCINTYRE. We are happy to have you as part of our community.
    Why not start by telling us something about yourself!

2. I am 71, love to cook, am a decent craftsman comfortable with most power and hand tools. I routinely do projects that take months if not years to complete. By way of example I am currently building a mountain home with one helper.

I am driven to this forum out of frustration. Despite having accumulated good knives, numerous diamond and ceramic plates,an assortment of high quality water stones and several strops, I have not been able to develop hair cutting sharp knife edges freehand. On the other hand, I routinely sharpen my plane and chisel edges to a razor sharp finish. Over the years I have watched well over 25 sharpening videos, have tried edge guides to make sure my angle of approach is correct and, and have spent many hours trying to hone my freehand skills.

It has come down to giving up several times and forcing myself to accept useful, but not razor sharp edges on my EDC and chef's knives. Last straw was just today. After another failed effort to get my 5 chef knives really sharp, I pulled out a Henckels 10" which was a recent gift and is (or rather was) hair cutting sharp. It cleanly shaved my forearm until I gave it 30-40 strokes on a 3,000 grit Naniwa. It will now cut a tomato but will not have a hair.

I have tried raising and lowering angles, leading and trailing edge pressure. Nothing I try gets my knives as sharp as they were out of the box!
    Any suggestions/thoughts would be welcomed.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Welcome to the KKFora Martin! I can offer no help on the sharpening but there are many talented craftsman and members here who can get you right.