1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Jagoh1

Discussion in 'New Member Check-In' started by Jim, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Welcome @Jagoh1

Please join me in welcoming our newest member, Jagoh1. We are happy to have you as part of our community.
    Why not start by telling us something about yourself!

2. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Welcome to the Fora!

3. My interest in knives generally comes from (in the '50's) having a (then middle aged) Sheffield cutler as a cousin, in whose workshop I spent many a happy Saturday. As a, now 'ageing', retiree who's wife has banned from doing further work on our house, I needed to find something to exercise my hands and mind, so I took to making Scandinavian style fixed blade knives - using bought in blades as I don't yet have forging facilities - which usually need some finishing and polishing. I have made about 6 of those so far, some given away (they don't have a real use in the UK, as it is illegal to carry such a knife), but in case it is of interest, I have attached a photo of one. Then my wife, knowing the uselessness of my products, suggested I make kitchen knives - so I have, and have now completed two - photos attached. I bought the first blade direct from Teryasu Fujiwara in Japan (I had to pay for a knife, but had it sent without handle, as I wished to put on a better cherry handle from a log of a tree my cousin had felled). It is hand-forged with a carbon steel core clad with stainless steel. The second is from a pair of knives with cheap handles that I bought from 'Workshop Heaven' here in the UK. Those blades are coated with a finish that I have to take off before cleaning up the surfaces and edges and polishing. I have seen some cost effective but not-great blades on the 'Dictum' site.

Perhaps father Christmas will bring me some forging gear to make my own blades!

I joined this site hoping that within its members there would be somebody who knew where to find cost effective, but good, japanese blades. I'm quite happy to do some cleaning up and polishing of blades if necessary.

20171210_185639 - Copy.jpg 20180417_102744 - Copy (2).jpg 20181004_093613 - Copy.jpg