1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Registry- Proper Knife Set

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Ed, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Ed

Ed Founding Member

Ok gents, let a knife-newb have it! The only kitchen knives I have currently are an 18-pc Chicago Cutlery Insignia set. The missus has deigned to assign me "knives" on the wedding registry. Within reason (I know this is asking ALOT), what should I ask for? We are registering at Macys and Bed Bath & Beyond. Thanks in advance!

2. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

Does she want an entire set, or could you ask for specific pieces?

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

soooo, no pens or pipes ?, well at least you get some kewl knives. Im totally out of my league here so Ill leave it up to the experts. and a Congratulations to you,... btw between Boris and myself if you had to pick one best man,.. how would you let Boris down gently ? just curious

Agree with Chris, may help the gents if you are looking for 4 or 5 nice individual pieces or a whole blocks worth of amazing. You could always separate into four nice kitchen knives, and then a nice steak set or something like that

4. Ed

Ed Founding Member

Either or...the more ideas right now, the better. I'll be doing all the cooking anyways.

5. James

A chef knife of some kind, bread knife, slicer. If it were me id put more money into these three then a whole set full of stuff you would never use. That is if you have the seriously kewl friends to actually buy them. I dont, but im sure you do... id get a nice plastic knife set from taco bell, and some napkins

6. Ed

Ed Founding Member

A few Liga Privada's sent his way, he'd be too busy to attend!:p

7. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

What do you use the most out of the knives available to you right now?

8. Ed

Ed Founding Member

Chef knife and bread knife are #1 and #2 by far.

9. James

BBB has Shun knives, I dont know how nice they actually are though. As someone who knows nothing, I always thought they were nice lol

10. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

I have a few Global knives, and I really like them. My advice would be to get an 8" or 10" chef's knife, bread knife, and a paring knife. I've found that I can do pretty much all I ever need to with those three.

I also like these in-drawer knife blocks.

You may also find this book handy, Ed. It's a great read. As entertaining as it is educational.

-Andy

11. James

paring and bread,... are not bad options, My most expensive knife at the moment is a paring knife I use for almost everything, specially for smacking my knuckles into the table lol

12. Boris

Boris Founding Member

pfft i'd crash that wedding and smoke those LP there! btw, we both know your just being nice to james because you don't want to crush his hopes and dreams because we already know you would pick me ed.

but ya knives, ill let others recommend lolz

13. Ed

Ed Founding Member

Notwithstanding that, he'd be catapulted at the border anyways! :p

14. Boris

Boris Founding Member

he'd open his mouth end with an eh and deported! lolz

15. James

Id have the nicest registry book entry though

16. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

Always ask for the most expensive set, then return it and get the knives you need, plus store credit. It's romantic, trust me.

17. James

That right there is now what I would go with, geez Jason, how many time have you been married

18. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

Just the once, but I have clever friends.

19. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

This is brilliant advice! Ed: You can pay off that 240mm gyuto you're about to purchase by returning the shiny, full bolster German knife set and still have money left over for the other two knives you'll need.

-Andy

20. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Personally I wouldn't register for knives ;)

I have given MAC Pro knives as gifts, Tojiros, more Tojiros and Richmond Addicts. People like them but they know nothing about knives. I make sure to stop in the sharpen them and tend to give the stainless models over carbon.