1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Weber Razors

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MotoMike, Jun 17, 2016.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I bought a Weber razor a few years back and found it was, for me a perfect shaver. I wanted to get one for my son in law recently and seem to only be able to get handles. What happened?

What other companies are now making stainless razors?

Mike

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I think Dovo makes a stainless. Butch does as well.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks guys. amazing to me that a good product like the Weber has not continued the full razor. that Rockwell looks interesting.

5. Ronnie Aloha

Ronnie Aloha Founding Member

I only use my Weber now. It's funny, this is my second one. The first one didn't do anything for me so I sold it to someone in Greece. I bought a send one about a year later to give it a second try. Now I'm Locke din on it and was going to buy a back up but they weren't being sold anymore. The only good thing is that the one I have is probably worth 1.5 x what I paid for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Doh, my bad, I assumed Weber was a straight...

7. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've been considering an ATT and a Feather for a while, to replace my Edwin Jagger DE89 which is starting to get some bubbling in the plating (nothing too bad, but in 5 more years may be an issue).

Instead, I foolishly got one of the new aluminium Mongoose models, which take Feather/Kai SE blades. Seems pretty nice so far.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have an Icon. 101. all the company literature says the head is aluminum, but mine is stainless. magnets don't stick to aluminum. It is a pretty good razor if a little odd with closed comb on one side and open on the other. A mild shaver. The Weber is perfect. I guess I was lucky to get it when I did. Really should outlast me. I like the look of some of the Above the Tie razors, but man they are at a hurtful price.

9. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I used an Ikon razor once. Also tried an Above The Tie razor. They were both to heavy for my liking. I prefer the lighter vintage Gillettes. That is, of course, back when I was shaving :j

10. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

JJ you don't belong in this thread you award winning beard!

While the super high end razors are attractive and as noted will outlast a couple generations, they don't actually shave better than many of the vintage Gillette and German razors.

A more modest Stainless razor ( at least the handle) is the Apollo, I am pretty sure the head is not but it is a mild shaver in the blade gap and exposure department. The heavy handle does make it more efficient than the head would lead you to believe.

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I will agree with you on the quality of the vintage Gillettes. my 40s Super Speeds are in my opinion the point at which the pinnacle was reached. My birthday Diplomat is pretty sweet too.

12. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I got a RazorRock Mission for my son for Christmas last year and had to try it out. Dam fine shave and solid build.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

13. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I only use Gillettes, and love them. I'd like to try more, but don't know that
    I need to.

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Lefty, we all know "need" has nothing to do with it.;)

15. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

The "need" conundrum

17. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Ahhhh want vs. need .... me and the lady of the house have this discussion often..... often I don't get what I want....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk