1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Wa Gyuto in AEBL, Manzanita Burl, and Ebony

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Nov 5, 2016.

1. This one is ready to go. Wa Gyuto in AEBL with manzanita burl and ebony with copper spacer. Wood is oil and beeswax finish, and should be regularly touched up to keep it in good condition. Shaped D style handle, with rounded spine and choil for comfort.
    The blade thickness starts at 2.6 mm and tapers to about 1.5 mm 2 inches from the tip, with a full convex grind front and back. Convexing is done on my rotary platen.
    Professionally hardened to 62.
    Blade height: 46 mm at heel.
    Blade length: 210 mm
    Handle: 135 mm
    OAL: 360 mm
    $ 285.00 plus shipping

Thanks for having a look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Nice clean work!

3. Thanks Lefty! My first manzanita handle. I love the stuff.

4. This knife is sold. Thanks!

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

a beauty Mark

6. Thanks Mike. A lot of work went into this one, but to be honest, I have changed my pattern fairly significantly on the batch just sent to HT.
    I have a couple more in this style to finish, and they should be great slicers on the thin side.
    The next batch will be more robust in thickness, and much more complex in geometry.

I am thinking about posting some pics when they get back from heat treat and get some advice from folks here on preferred blade shape and grind geometry if I can.

7. Knife looks very nice and it looks like you have that shape of handle down perfectly but just a comment on geometry... I prefer a lower tip. The cutting motion per my style is just smoother with a flatter profile but I don't rock chop really ever.

8. I appreciate you taking the time to comment about that Dough. Funny I realized I spent the last 8 months studying the traditional Japanese blade styles. This last month I have been looking harder at U.S. maker's gyuto style and it has been seeping into my design. Last night I spent literally 30 minutes oggling this Catchside gyuto and this morning I redrew my design.
    It isn't like the Catchside much, except that the blade is much flatter.
    It just looks better, even on paper.

You can see the blank in the pick was edited via sharpy and will be re-profiled. I used this blank to draw and rework the blade design this morning on paper. Is this what you are talking about?

Nov2016 Gyuto1.jpg

9. This knife is available again. Price lowered at $255.00

10. sorry the belated reply but that is exactly what I was talking about. Another reason I personally like that profile is when doing tip work you don't have to raise the heel as much. also that is a great price.

11. I appreciate the feedback.
    As far as price, it is hard to get paid for your work as a relatively unknown maker. It takes time, and I just continue to study and improve my designs.
    It is an exciting journey, but the Mrs is a bit anxious to see a return on the tooling investment. ;)

I hope you'll check back in the next few months and let me know what you think of the new work.

12. Bump, I have a gyuto and yanagi from mark , and They're excellent cutter

13. Thanks for the endorsement Otoro. I'm glad the knives are working out well for you.