1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Van Zanten WIP

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Van Zanten, May 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Guys,

Here is the result of the wip :)

Both knives are 9" chef's. The used steels are 1.2442 high carbon tungsten steel (grey), O2 high carbon manganese steel (black) and an European 15N20 equivalent; 75Ni8, a high carbon nickle steel (silver). The mix is hardened and tempered to 62 HRc. The grind is a two bevel hollow, the thickness behind the edge is 0.2mm. The overall weight is 190 gram, balance point right in front of the bolster. The thickness at the spine is 2.4mm. The pins are brass corby bolts, the bolster is brass, the mosaic pin is brass and alpaca. Tapered tang and dovetailed bolsters.

The handle of the first knife is Ringed Gidgee from Australia. The damascus is random chevron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second knife has a dyed maple handle and ladder damascus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Together:

[​IMG]

Kind regards,

Johan van Zanten
    The Netherlands

2. This is the third forum where I write my reply, but I've got only one word for this: incredible!

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Most striking

4. WOW. Just stunning. I am discovering this thread that I missed, I do not know how. I just read it two times in a row. I will start over again. a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Thx for sharing that.

5. Oh. My. God. Those two are freaking amazing! They sound like they are built to perform awesome on the cutting board as well! :cool1

6. I am jealous of someone, somewhere, who has the chance to own the random chevron knife.

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.