1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual Sharpening Jobs

Discussion in 'Se Ecglast' started by Taylor, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I've seen almost every type of knife imaginable, and sharpened most of them. Here's a couple of my latest finished jobs. I really should get better about taking before pictures though.

Up first is an Albion sword brought to me by a customer. It came with no edge (not even a little, as there was still ~4mm of thickness). There was also no handle attached, though he gave me the guard, handle, pommel, and nut; they did not actually fit on the sword.

Bevels ground on the grinder, hand sanded finish, and sharpened to 1k on stones. Tang tapered to fit handle and guard, while the end of the tang was shaped and threaded for the nut.

Albion Sword bevel and handle.jpg

Next up, we have a set of knives that was purchased for a client by their client. These were so thick behind the edge, that even sharpened, they would not cut. I wasn't getting great readings with my hardness tester, so it became a balance of removing a ton of steel, while not making the edge too weak. By the end, they were slicing carrots without wedging. Finished them by hand sharpening to 3k, and redoing the etch. I'm hoping they skip the middleman next time, and just come to me for a knife.

Unusable Demascus.jpg

2. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Nice!

3. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I've sharpened other swords for the same customer. He sent me this pic of how my edges perform. I'm sure there's quite a bit of technique involved as well.

Mat Cut 1.jpg

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member