1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual butchery

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Dan P., Nov 24, 2015.

1. I thought I'd share this video I found, illustrating a most unusual method of butchering a pig for those here who are interested in meat. I guess they want particular belly cuts for charcuterie?
    Not for the squeamish, particularly the first four minutes, which are worth skipping anyway as there is little of interest;

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Wow I watched the whole thing.. not much waste there. That guy knows his way around a carcass. Not sure why they went down from the back, perhaps its simply a local thing.

3. The butcher pulls out a large foamy membrane from cavity which *I think* he identifies as the only bit that isn't good for anything (French speakers feel free to correct me). The following video about pig butchering on the causse correzien is also well worth a look.

4. this man is from the aveyron région, he says that removing the spinal column is just his way of doing, and that it leaves the "longe" free of bone, instead of doing regular ribs. the white part is the lard of the pig, and isn't useless, on the contrary, he uses it in the sausage. butchering is completely different in the UK and in France, so my guess is in America this is the case as well. which is why it is so difficult for expats to get the cuts of méat they désire :)

5. Ah-ha! So much for my pitiful grasp of French!

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. butch

butch Founding Member

looks like a really smart way of doing it