1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

tomato canning advice

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by NMaxy, Sep 4, 2014.

1. We're overwhelmed with tomatoes this year. I have good luck canning the roma and san marzano, but this year I have an abundance of grapefruit sized heirlooms. When I've tried in the past, I've blanched them to remove skin, quartered and seeded, then salted to draw some water out. However, when I can them I still get separation with an excess of water in the jar. Is this just the nature of the beast, or is there a better method?

2. Andre

Andre Founding Member

The Roma and San Marzano are cooking tomatoes, and the big boys are slicers. Maybe make ODTs and pack them in oil, or cook the ever living crap out of them into paste? I'd go for ODTs. They're very versatile.

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

ODT bing oven dried tomato. SDT is sundried tomato ;)

You could also juice or sauce the tomatoes and can that. What about salsa?

4. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Do you ever try freezing them? Blanch & quarter, put in ziploc bags, squeeze out extra air, and toss them in the freezer. They're a little juicy when you cook with them, but it boils off, and when you thaw and open them in the middle of winter, it makes your kitchen smell like summer. I like the flavor much better than canned.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Lucretia
    do you seed them as well? or would that cut down on the juice?

6. I already roast the plum tomatoes. Peel and seed them, cut in half and roast confit style with oil, thyme, bay, salt and pepper before canning.

Lucretia - I'm going to try freezing - thanks for the suggestion!

7. butch

butch Founding Member

we have been washing then scoring the skins (in 4s ) then freexing them. then when we have a batch worth we pull them out and let them warm a bit (skins peel right off just pull ) drain some of the water off and blend till smooth then cook sauce

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I don't seed them before freezing, just peel, cut off any bad bits and hard white pith, and bag 'em up. I tend to puree my sauces so the seeds disappear, and I like the extra juice for making tomato grits.

Butch, I'll have to try your method. Sounds like a time saver. Just put up some this morning, and one of the bags has a small piece of thumb in it. Might make for a chewy bit, but the flavor should be superb!

9. Always one step ahead Lucretia...I hadn't thought of that method of seasoning yet!

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

At least blood doesn't show up in tomato sauce. It really adds a special touch when you're making something white like flatbread.

11. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

A little extra protein for the sauce...good thinking