1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

TLC advice needed

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by JayEddie, May 23, 2014.

1. JayEddie

JayEddie Founding Member

First off, it's not really a kitchen knife, but I didn't really know where to post this. So I rescued this little gem from my mothers garage. It's been used as a garden knife for the last 40 or 50 years. It's an antique Remington RH 320 with a stag bone handle. I don't want to start working on it without consulting with you experienced gentlemen first. My main question is what is the best thing for cleaning/treating the bone handle? Should I smooth out the pommel and polish it, or would it be better to leave it in it's 'natural' used condition. Lastly, should I take steel wool and oil to the blade and shine it up? I appreciate any input you may have.
    [​IMG]

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. I see nothin.

4. I wouldn't do a thing to that knife other than sharpen it if needed. Your mom has/had great tastes. Use it in your garden for wacking an eggplant or mellon off the vine, or cutting a bit of string and carry on her tradition.

5. JayEddie

JayEddie Founding Member

Thanks gents. I'll give my best shot at sharpening, and use it from there.

6. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I can't speak to the handle but would definitely clean up the blade. The only thing corrosion will get you is more corrosion.

A couple day soak (blade only) in "Break Free" will prob make an easy job of clean up. No need to go for a mirror finish, get the corrosion off w steel wool or wet/dry then play it by ear.