1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

This site's okay, but you're missing something

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by Jay, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

At the risk of getting beaten about the head, I'll confess that I enjoy having the stones more than the knives, although I enjoy using the knives more.

2. gavination

gavination Founding Member

I think I may enjoy collecting and using both equally. Is it weird to enjoy rubbing steel on rocks??

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I don't have much to use for a slurry other than a 140 diamond plate... I'm new to the JNAT thing. I'm looking for a finer DMT card sized to try and see if I get a better result but I've heard all natural stones are quirky as all get out and it is a YMWV issue and changes with steel types too... Fun FUn! :)

4. John Fout

It is kind of soothing and relaxing to go back and forth in a near rhythmic pattern while listening to the pitch go higher or lower as you work on different parts of the blade or hear the water drizzle over the rock and the sound of the blade going in small circles and creating slurry, mud, swarf...

5. Legion

Legion Founding Member

That's not a rock...

That's a rock.

[​IMG]

6. gavination

Yyyyyyyup! I love that sound!

7. John Fout

I'm torn between sharpening or trying the new buffing wheel right this second.

8. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Ummm...sharpening, duh? :p

9. gavination

Buffing wheel???? I feel like you just said "squirrel". Squirrel?!

10. John Fout

But things can get shiny... super shiny...

11. neelesh

neelesh Founding Member

very nice, good stuff

one point: these stone holders are generally made of chromed steel and really rust after a while. Recommend to pay a bit more and insist on stainless steel bars, last forever and are silky smooth to operate. BOught mine from Tooslfromjapan

12. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Yeah, all 3 of my stone holders have rusty bars, I just clean them off and keep going.

John, get a finer diamond stone for a slurry stone. The little small stone or paddle type things will work fine for a slurry stone, doesn't need to be fancy or a big stone. Really made a difference, especially with my harder J Nats. Ozuka Asagi was almost too hard, with the slurry stone it works well. Made a big difference with my Takashima, too.

Each stone has it's own personality, but that's part of the fun!!

13. John Fout

I'll be on the lookout. Trying to get a big grinder squared away then I'll get back to stones/knives/whatever. :)

14. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

What type of big grinder?

15. John Fout

Something that handles a 2x72 belt :-D

16. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

Yup, that's a big one! LOL.

17. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

J nats :) I have an Amakusa and a coarser J nat that rarely get used; these start at Aoto and go up to Ozuka Asagi! Lighting in the pic sucks, sorry, I will get a better pic when the snow finally melts.

[​IMG]

18. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Jay, that's a serious collection you have going!

And Tim, That's a lot of nats happenin' there!