1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why I like KKFora a lot

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by chefcomesback, May 4, 2015.

1. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

After spending years on knife forums of many flavors, even being a mod on one, this is the only one I post on..albeit very little.
    I've been privileged to have met Jim, Butch and some others here. And if it wasn't for their even temperament and helpful nature, I wouldn't be here at all.
    Bad behavior and egos on forums had turned me into quite the combative person on social media. And it has robbed the joy of such places from me.
    I just can't see that being an issue here. Everyone is very nice and respectful of one another.
    I am very thankful for the Fora and all it has to offer.
    Thank you Jim.

2. Well, community is nice, but for me it's also about the software that runs this forums being way more advanced comparing to the most other knives forums. I hate using PM on other forums, because they make me feel like I'm still in the 1996. On this forum I tend to spend about 80-90% of the time in the Conversations, chatting with folks about all the different stuff.

The only thing that bugged me was the huge logo that took 1/5 of my laptop screen height. So I wrote a custom CSS to hide it completely. So much better :)

3. Mert, well said and you know I couldn't agree more with you and everyone else for that matter.
    I am done with the other forum. I'm not going to pollute this thread with negitive comments about that place, I will just say I will be posting here from now on :)
    All the people I like are here anyway!
    Looking forward to a brighter and less snobby future with yall :)

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Using XenForo was the wisest decision made. I only have experience with this one and vBulletin and it's not even close. Xen is so much better.

5. butch

butch Founding Member

yep this is a nice calm place with lots of "helpful hands" i think i need to start a thread (ask the makers)

6. This forum doesn't make a lot of noise. For example, there are not many "what knife should I by?" threads here. Instead this forum seems to work like a blog for many of the knife makers and other craftmen out there. I like the atmosphere here where people want to show what they're up to. :) Also, I like the depth in some threads, there is much knowledge here. People here help eachother, behave in a mature way with no snobbery or fanboyism.

Finally, I like the forum software. Never underestimate the importance of to be able to, in a simple way, attach images to a post. This makes people post many, many images and it increases that blog feeling I was talking about. :)

7. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

Dave Martell just banned me completely from the other forum!!!! LOL!!!!

8. Brad Gibson

I really didn't know posting my opinion about the other forum could be a bannable offense. Seems quite humorous.

9. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Sorry to hear that Brad , I wanted post this because of my gratitude , don't want to turn this into bad mouthing another forum , most of us are members there and some are vendors over that forum as well .The small kitchen knife community is already divided long time ago , don't want to flame that again all over

10. Brad Gibson

I wasn't trying to bad mouth them really. Was just saying why I liked it over here a lot. I was mid trade to get back one of my knives that I traded to a guy a couple years back. I logged in to find a link to this thread and that I was banned forever! LOL. Just think it's funny more than anything. I haven't made a post on that forum in a long long time. Just watch the b/s/t sometimes. I made a couple trades in the past month or so even with being banned. Doubt that will change anything.

11. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I know you weren't but it could start other people doing so .

12. I just found out yesterday I'm on a restricted status over there, though I'm not banned I guess. A friend PM'd me here and said he had been trying to PM me there but couldn't. So I went and tried to send a PM to him, and it wouldn't let me.

I emailed Austin asking why, but he hasn't replied.

Anyway though, I agree...this post should stay positive. This FORUM is positive, and dwelling on negativity from other areas is pointless.

13. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Exactly Cris, there simply are no negatives here.
    Again, thanks Jim.

14. Guys, watch what you say here if your membership in the other forum holds value to you.
    Like brad I have also been permanently banned.
    There was a link to this thread, apparently my above post was enough to ban me forever despite my 2 years (roughly) of being a pretty decent and mostly respectful forum member. I can only think of one thread and a few posts out of those two years where I pushed the boundrys a little.
    I am not particularly concerned by this, just slightly annoyed as I was mid conversation with a number of people who aren't members here yet. They will be difficult to contact now.
    To the person that banned me: that was a little unnecessary and harsh, but I bear no ill feeling towards you :)

15. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I hope that we can keep the positive vibe and attitude in this thread focused on the Kitchen Knife Fora. The internet is...well....the internet, and everyone that logs on any site should use a little caution with the content they put up.
    Let's not bring any unnecessary attention elsewhere.

16. Yes, my Apologies! just didn't want anyone else to get caught out :)
    Sorry about that. I have been very impressed with the positive attitudes here. You guys have created a great place and I'm very grateful. There are a lot of people I know here but plenty I don't. I look forward to getting to know you all better :)

17. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

Brad and Geo are always stirring the pot. ;)

18. Brad Gibson

What can I say? I like a little action!