1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why I like KKFora a lot

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by chefcomesback, May 4, 2015.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I know it's a smaller community , we don't have the huge member numbers , but;
    I love it that there isn't so called senior member or experts giving advice on a things that have no real experience about,
    Snobbery about the limit of disposable income about a person ,
    Being open to criticism and allowing people even giving negative feedback on his own forum ( doubt it will happen but thanks Cris ;) )
    The help I have gotten from experienced makers like Bill Burke , Cris Anderson , Jon Broida , Pierre Rodrigue , Randy Haas , Will Catheside ( alphabetical order in first names )
    Pushing for certain vendors or censorship
    And generosity of members like Anton and Taylor's give aways
    And giving the artisans a chance to get paid what the customer values for with auctions
    I know many more are on this forums just reading , it's time to post more , come on everyone
    Mert

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I believe thats just what Jim had in mind when he started this up, And will be glad to see you say it. It really is the members that make the atmosphere in a forum, and a lot of how the long term vibe of a forum is how the tone is set from the get go, and I think the group we have here set just about the best attitude possible in making this place what it is and will. It really is a community, and a great one at that,

For those new guys, everyone here is nice and always happy to answer any question you have, whether its the first time or the 100th time asked, we are just happy to have something to talk about with you, so feel free to post without anyone giving you any sort of hard time about it whatsoever.

Plus this place is just fun

3. Great post Mert, pretty much nailed it:cool1 As James said, this is exactly what Jim and the guys had in mind when the Fora started.
    Not much I can add that you guys haven't said already!!
    It's definitely a privilege to be part of such a great community:)

4. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Good points, Mert! I enjoy reading this and the 'other KKF', and it feels redundant somehow to double post because I think there is so much overlap in the membership. But I am also not ready to give the 'other one' up... So, I split posts, but may have to become a bit more active here.

Stefan

5. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Poignantly stated, Mert, I concur completely!!! :cool:

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I like the fact that its a smaller community here. I cant keep up nor do I want to with the big forum. I also didnt get banned from b/s/t here for commenting on a sale(BECAUSE YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) The other forum and all of its rediculous rules is just too much for me.

A BIG thanks to Jim for making this all possible!

8. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Thanks Jim

9. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

These day an age it is hard to find a better place than what you have gotten accustomed to. But I can safely say that "the grass is greener" at the Fora

10. this might just be a "new" old home for me

11. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

People in California always seem to be attracted to better grass.

12. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

:bacon

Many thanks for the kind words Gents, everything is a compromise and we have made plenty here- I would like to think we made them smarter and friendlier.

I cannot help but also point out how hard the team works and keeps the wheels greased here. They are very modest but work damn hard at keeping the vibe on the positive side. :cool1

13. keep on keepin on my friend

14. I think Mert has hit the nail on he head (hammer on the anvil?). I think the success of Mert's trip Stateside showed the true collaborative and collegiate nature of our little community.

We all take great pleasure in sharing knowledge, experience, opinions, impressions, encouragement, not to inflate egos, show off, or exert influence, but out of sincere generosity and interest.

I applaud the efforts of Jim and the team behind the scenes to provide this environment. Thank you all.

Cheers,

J

15. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

One of my work colleagues will leave the departmet in a couple of months, and I asked him to give me a crash course in one of his work tasks because then I could apply for another position several levels higher (not his old job) in a couple of months. He refused because he considers the work he was paid for as his 'intellectual property' and he plans to blackmail the department into giving him a side contract in addition to his new well-paid job to continue what he developed on a state salary. This, for me, is a typical example of the world outside of this community. While there may be the occasional 'trade secret', generally everybody here is supportive of everyone else, be it as a forum member, a customer or a colleague. So, thanks again for providing a climate in which this is possible.

Stefan

16. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

I love this community because some of you dudes are just plain nutz and are so entertaining! [​IMG]
    And what everybody else said! [​IMG]

17. Mert my brother...you said it all. I mean, thank you for the kind words in regards to myself...but it's the like minded atmosphere here that allows me to express myself without being worried about who is watching or what might or might not be allowed. Without you all and the forum Jim has provided...I'd just be being me over here in silence :p. I think that is really what catches the essence of this place. We can all be who we are, without worry of judgment or censorship.

It's a very, very good thing.

Absolutely Stefan!! I sometimes get new guys sending PM's asking me 'Hey, can you tell me step by step what temperatures, steel thicknesses, clay thicknesses soak times and temps, and quench sequence you use? I'm starting to make knives (or, 'I make kitchen knives too') and love your work. Oh, also...if you don't mind, how do you grind your geometry? I don't want to be rude or anything." lol. Seriously!!...no exaggeration. It's very difficult for me to know how to answer those questions because I'm feeding my kids with this work...but I'm also very, very willing to share. Luckily the truth suffices most times, which is that unless they're in my shop, with my materials, tools and equipment...the numbers aren't going to do them much good anyhow.

Conversely, I get guys like @Jared Thatcher, who came to me awhile back with a very simple question (I don't even remember what it was to be honest lol...it wasn't on this site though). We've become great friends, and the guy has managed to learn everything I know and some things I didn't even know I knew :p. The reason for that is that he gives back as much as he gets...sometimes just in insight or as a wall to bounce things off of. 99.99% of the member base here that I've dealt with are very much like Jared to me. The generosity, kindness, humor, and friendhship these guys offer help maintain this board as something different on the net.

That's a very, very good thing as well.

One last thing...Jim mentioned the moderation team here...and I almost have to say 'What team?' lol. Those guys are so unobtrusive, and yet still so dedicated (trust me, I have run forums big and small...it's no small amount of work) that the fact that I don't recognize anyone specifically as part of a management team speaks volumes on its own.

Anyway...consider this my thanks as well Jim. We don't talk a whole lot...but I'm exceedingly grateful for the home you've provided all of us.

18. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Thanks for the kinds words Mert! I'm feeling pretty grateful for the place as well, and for some reason, I tend to spend a bit more time on this end of the web. I'm hoping to share a bit more in the coming months, but I'm always looking forward to what you post as well.

19. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I agree! It's been smooth, seemless and transparent. I have not noticed any attitude debates, it's been truly enjoyable!

20. Thanks Cris for the kind words. Cris is the one who pointed me to the Fora in the first place. He has been a huge help in everything I do, and I am very grateful for him pointing me toward the Fora.

The discussion threads are so helpful to someone like me (who knows little about Japanese knives or what happens in a professional kitchen). I love that the members are spread out across the world and offer insights into their own cultures. Really great place to post and learn.