1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

This is my rifle...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Dave Martell, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

There are many like it, but this one is mine! :cool:

I have very few possessions besides work related tools/equipment so those I do have are treasured dearly. This is one of them, my Springfield M1A (AKA M14)

Seeing that I don't have the money to ever go shooting :( I find that I need to scratch the itch somehow and one of those ways has been to fix up the old Winchester Western 1960's vintage USGI birch stock that I bought years ago.

The first time I messed with it I just cleaned the grime off and slathered on some boiled linseed oil (BLO) and figured that was good enough.

See...

[​IMG]

Since then I started doing a lot of knife handle work and with this came the learning of finishing techniques. I would often pull out this stock and try some of my newly learned craft on it but I always wanted it to look better, not so washed out, and to have more color.

This led me to my latest iteration. Over the past summer I sanded the stock down and filled in the pores through wet sanding, just like I do with my knife handles. But then I did something different, I stained the stock and then stained it again and then re-sanded it and re-stained it and so on until I achieved what I was looking for.

What I was after was a reddish/orange/amberish/brown look with a slight shine/sheen that was a more "in the wood" look than on it, plus, I wanted a nice feel..you know that nice smooth wood feel. I ended up having to make a mixture of pure tung oil/light varnish/guitar stains (the only thing that I had to buy special for this project)/ & leather stains. Took about 8 applications before I felt no more should be done, it was just right. ;)

When I finally took it out in the light after only seeing it in my dimly lit shop I was floored!

I took a whole slew of pictures in different light conditions to show the changes in color/tone and shine the stock now has. It looks pretty good in the pictures but you should see it in person - it's crazy stupid sweet - I love it! :D

See...

P1010001.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010012.JPG

Yes there's still some dings in the stock and that's because I left them there. I was going to try to steam them out but got lazy. Plus I don't want a safe queen stock with this one, if it's dinged now then I don't have to worry about it in the future.

So now I hope that I'll get to the range when the spring comes....or the summer.....or fall....

Anyway, just thought I'd share my girl with youz people! :cool:

Dave

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

A beauty Dave. It was the rifle we used in the Navy when I was in. M16 went to the others and we retained the M14. sent many a round down range with those bad boys. One school I attended, (Surface Ship Engagement Tactics) had us in a two week time amongst other things, shot 500 M14, 100 12ga, and 200 .45 pistol. I can tell you that the rifle will tenderize your shoulder with that metal butt plate.

3. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Beautiful.

4. Dave Martell

If I had known back in the 80's that the Navy still used M14s I might have joined them instead of the AF.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. Dave Martell

It's nice to hear that others like her as well. Thanks gents! :)

7. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

8. Dave Martell

Funny thing is that between seeing/using them in video games and their use in airsoft there's a whole new young market of people looking into the M14. Most of the youngsters are into the new modern chassis systems vs the old wood stocks though, but hey, whatever keeps them interested is OK by me.

9. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member