1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The tacticalization of the pocket knife

Discussion in 'EDC - What is in your pocket?' started by Jim, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Legion

Legion Founding Member

Living in a country where I cannot legally carry any knife, the knife I do carry is usually the smallest and least tactical I can find. Most days it is a Case Baby Butterbean, and a #4 Opinal on my keys. Hopefully, just hopefully, if I ever do get searched by the cops they will have the good sense to not bust me for a concealed "weapon".

Honestly, living in the city as I do now, those little knives perform fine for the tasks I need them for.

2. Alacrity59

Alacrity59 Founding Member

I carry a small simple victorinox, blade, nail file with blade screwdriver tip, scissors, tweezers to pull out the odd splinter, and a toothpick to boot.
    upload_2014-5-8_20-54-3.png

Attached Files:

3. Vangelis

Vangelis Founding Member

I dont see the need to carry on an everyday basis a knife....

At home I am using a Victorinox for some tasks, I also take it with me for camping / hicking. When I go for hutning I am borrowin one of my friends hunting knives :)

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

On occasion, upon switching from work clothes to home clothes, I forget to put a knife in my pocket. I these instances I almost always find myself reaching for the missing knife to accomplish some task. This is even more common with the advent of stupidly difficult to open packaging that some products come in. I feel nekid without a knife in my pocket.

5. Gerber Covert Fast Folding Knife 3_625_ Serrated Drop Point 7Cr17MoV ___.jpg well I know it's an old thread, but I'll out my opinion in. First off my state laws make no differentiation between any knives other than ballistic knives - where the blade shoots off. That to me doesn't even sound like a knife, so I don't care about those being illegal.
    the most important thing to me for an edc is the ability to smoothly take it out open, make my cuts and close with one hand. I typically need to make a cut and don't have time to waste putting down what I'm holding to open s 2 handed knife and all that. So,I prefer a balisong. Or at the least an assisted opening knife like the Gerber covert. This is what I have been carrying lately.
    I do agree that many modern knives are bulky and ugly. I also like a little size to my knife, it can be uncomfortable to hold/use a 2" knife, as I have big hands, and sometimes a bigger blade makes life s lot easier
    more reasons why I like the Gerber. It is a little big, but it had a decent flowing look to it, and fits nicely in my hand, blade is just dirty if 4", so it is adequately sized without being a burden, and the half stated blade is wonderfully handy. Combined with the ability to open and close with a flick of the thumb, and a living mechanism. It makes s great edc. Still would rather have s balisong, but this will do until I find a new one

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
  6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Glad this thread got revived.

I have a bunch of EDC type knives, but not one has stuck as something I can carry without feeling either self-conscious about, or that doesn't make me feel like one of those tactical knife collector types who plays video games all day long (I'm about the farthest thing from that).

With that being said, I use a knife that I can't remember the name of very heavily in and around the shop, and when I'm working on renos, etc. Some guy named Michael Rader made it... I dunno. Haha. Seriously, you should see how beaten up it is!

My next most used knife is a Swiss Army Trekker that I keep in my bunker pants (turnout gear) pocket. I use it at work (duh), and it gets use at most car accidents, and often in small fires when I need to pry something open. For this, I use the short and sturdy screwdriver. It works great!

I have a Spyderco Pacific Salt (I think that's the one) that is a cool knife, but I never seem to use it, despite thinking it would be a perfect work knife. Truth be told, I can't pry with it, it's hard to get sharp enough for my liking, and it sits funny in my pocket.

I've been on the search for a perfect mix of masculinity and usefulness, while not being too big to be carried in my pocket/scare people when I pull it out, that I can leave in my jeans all day long. The closest thing I've found online is a Ken Onion Leek, though I haven't tried one. I really should, but chances are it would be money wasted, since I'm stupidly particular. Maybe not, though. Hmmm.

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

8. butch

butch Founding Member

made one last month for my dads 70th Bday DSC03355sm.jpg DSC03361sm.jpg

9. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

10. butch

butch Founding Member

i like the handle size but the thumb hole sits lower then i wodul like for EDC use (my old man was just goiong to pocket carry it and show off ) only use once and a while
    specs are blade 204p steel Ti liners and bolster CF spacer and 5400 year old bog oak