1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The pizza thread

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by apicius9, Jan 9, 2015.

1. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

That looks very good!
    Time to start trying new variations on pizza dough :)

2. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Love that Cuban pizza - such a simple idea but makes perfect sense.

Stefan

3. New steel experiment. Approx 16" x 22"....weighs 66 pounds. I had it cut from some plate in our yard. Super hard. Not sure exactly what it is, but we bought a lot of steel from Haynes over the years, so I'm guessing this is Hastelloy in some form. This is from a pile of stock that we gave up on, because we can't machine it. Who knows how it will perform as a baking steel. Heating it now.

IMG_8112.JPG

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. apicius9

apicius9 Founding Member

Cool, you can bake real baguettes on that one.

Stefan

6. butch

butch Founding Member

how woudl AL or copper work in this app i know where i could get 1 inch thick Al plates and they transfer heat really well but only hold it a bit

7. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

OMG I threw a pizza cruts together but didn't use a 'rolling/croissantj' method but was still OK for a Chitown pizza and damn everyone hated it. Then damn I hear dude sayin' chitown pizza isn't real pizza :) hehh same night. was OK tasting but ahh not pizza.

8. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

ive made yeastless dough pizza in a hotel pan in a 500 degree convection for staff meal. everyone was thrilled. im gonna send you the recipe. keep in mind, this was at a meditteranian, (however you spell that), seafood restaurant i worked at. there was no pizza in sight. but regardless, it is mediocre if you have semi good flour. and its a quick fix for pizza for staff meal. add any topping and any seasoning to the dough for good times!

9. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

Doh could spell last night. I was referring to Batali on the nightly show. The people I had eating the pizza just couldn't wrap their head around the cheese on bottom, sauce on top part. I use the ratio method for my doughs and it hasn't let me down yet. (I just add some olive oil for pizza) I'm gonna try Brad's recipe though. THanks

10. Double post lol.

11. What a great thread!! I'm all about home made pizza...though I've never had much opportunity to try it. One of my bladesmithing friends made a chef's knife (yes...it IS hunting knife thick, and has a belly like a pregnant guppy...shush!...it was a gift lol) for Megan Mitchell, who some of you may know as "The Grill Next Door" over on Yahoo. The knife is made from a bunch of historic Michigan reclaimed materials. Random damascus steel from various buldings, wood from a submerged dock in one of the great lakes...cool knife. It's in the video lol. Anyway, he posted this video of her making grilled pizza on a Weber gas grill which I thought was awesome lol:

https://screen.yahoo.com/grill-next-door-perfect-grilled-225618771.html
    (apparently it can't be embedded here?)

When I tried making it at home, it didn't work out so well though. The dough stuck to the grill almost immediately, and burned...badly. It was NOT 'bubbly and...amazing' as she put it.

The sauce was fricken wonderful though.

12. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I wish it was her next door not ladies in their 70ties all around.

13. Right? I'll admit I've got a little bit of a crush myself! Maybe I should send her a knife?!!

But it looks like she prefers prybars :p.

14. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Haha I won't even imagine what you mean Cris...
    But hers [sexy nonetheless] arms really suggests that the knives she uses are a tad too heavy.
    Keeps me wondering hows her big cooksknife like ??

15. There's another Wusthof looking knife in some of her other videos. Almost the same profile as the knife my friend made, with a similar thickness spine. Thinking about it they may have made him pattern his knife after that. I've always found those knives to be unreasonably heavy...but if thinned they can drop through food nicely so maybe that's just my inexperience in production cooking talking.

16. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I have to take your word for it. The end of the other movie was uber cheesy to me so Ive had enough. Hate when TV cooks try to explain how good the food they made is.
    Back to knives, there are a bunch of people who thinks the Wusthofs are good value. If you look closely some here are favoring Sabatiers. To me both are just about average, a preference I guess? What Ive noticed is that most cooks [no knuts] say the Wustey is a very good knife and supersharp. I find its thinned edge to collapse almost immediately, it likes some thick bevel behind it.
    Soft or with belly, no thanks.

17. Yep...I thinned my sister in law's Wusthof...just basically knocked the shoulders off the primary bevel at a sharp angle and little more. It probably doubled the ease of cutting. My sister in law was like "why didn't you make it like yours?!"...and I was like "your knife is 58HRC TOPS...and you use it like a meat tenderizer. If I thinned it any more, it wouldn't survive two cuts."

She wasn't pleased lol.

18. Watched the video... I say one word: Yummy! ... and the pizza looks OK as well. :D
    Cris, next time you make pizza on the grill make sure:
    - the griddle is hot enough / seasoned enough (bit of oil/fat burned on it to give a "non-stick" coating)
    - the surface of the dough is coated well with flour

19. I think that where I messed up was not enough flour. I did the rest....the grill showed well over 500°F, and I pre oiled it then let it come back up to temp just before putting the dough on.

I'll try again soon :D.