1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The minimum I can do....

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

When someone sends in their expensive knife for sharpening the first time I'm pretty sure that they're nervous about what could happen. I get it - I'd feel the same way if the roles were reversed.

Here's a typical sharpening job that I did this afternoon, nothing special, just a clean up and sharpen - the minimum that I know how to do.

I hope this helps a potential customer to ease their mind of worries. [​IMG]

Japanese Knife Sharpening Suisin Hayate1.jpg

2. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Good job Dave:D

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wow thats amazing,... The minimum I do is stay in bed till 3 in the afternoon, and go straight to the couch. I wish I had you talent

5. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

The minimum? I have to scrape the gunk off some of the knives I get in. Then I clean them up and put and edge on them. That's minimum. I've done 4 single bevels in the last year. They didn't look like that. What you did is pretty amazing Dave.

6. Beautiful as always Dave! Do you take Yanagiba's to a different grit than gyuto's?

7. Dave Martell

Yes sir, I go full stupid on yanagibas. I'm trying to get the perfect edge for the task as well as surface texture on the bevel for release.

8. Dave Martell

9. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Yeah I remember an article you written Dave about applying the most polished edges on slicers? Anyone remembers that?

I would however turn the question around. Where do the regular service ends. I mean, you get something inferior to Hayate, lets say a cheap masamoto, or something similar bent or warped. Would you attempt fixing that for the same pricetag?
    Im asking cause Im curious and also because I noticed its very easy to get carried away and spend hours and hours for no money. How do you balance that?

cheers:)

10. Dave Martell

That's always an issue. I go by the "you win some - you lose some" principle and figure that it usually evens out in the end but there are many many many times that cheaper knives come in where I have to charge more. In those cases the customer usually bails out about 50% of the time and that's understandable since the cost of sharpening/repair often exceeds the value of the knife quite a bit.