1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The knife you just love to use?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Jeffery Hunter, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Can't get enough of my Masamoto KS

[​IMG]

2. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

This is a unicorn knife for me Jim. Really Special Knife there.

3. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

"Murdered out" took me a sec...
    I actually wanted it in white paper micarta.....but don said he'd never do that again.....

4. Yep, it means 'blacked out'. I do it to almost every car I build...bikes too. The only thing I leave shiny are the rims. I hate blacked out rims! Anymore people are doing it with flat black plasti-dip, lol.

Anyway though, that knife of Don's has always been my favorite as well. From all I've seen and heard, it's easily one of his best pieces :).

5. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

@CrisAnderson27 some comments but no answer to the question... Interested to see a makers go to blade.
    @zwiefel that Don is something else sir
    @XooMG where did you pick up the Zakuri kinda wanting that size and profile right now.
    @Jim no words..... aside from amazing

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I have several knives that I love to use for different applications, but right now there are 2 that I look for reasons to pull out (sorry, can't get down to 1!) This one from DT--it's an amazing cutter, and a jaw-dropping, gorgeous knife. I'm amazed by it every time I use it.

Devin.jpg

Another one I love to use, this Maumasi. Possibly my most comfortable knife to use. It's kinda purdy, too.

91977_1_b.jpg

7. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Lucretia, that DT is absolutely stunning! I was lucky enough to hold it at the Seattle show, and I can see why you'd want to reach for it.

My knife I grab for now, partly for sentimental reasons, is my collaboration with Devin. Taking a hand in making a knife, then being amazed at how it performs over and over. Easy to take a wicked edge, and holds it for a long while. Pretty to look at helps. It's the second from the top in the picture.

[​IMG]

8. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Those are both gorgeous....but that DT is just amazing.

9. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

not the knife that gets the most use, but the knife that gives me the most joy when using. also a gift from a great friend.
    watanabe sakimaru takohiki 270mm custom handle and saya
    watanabe.jpg

10. I haven't gotten around to the picture part, but my custom wantanabe 240 with the kira tip is my go to knife for some reason.

Have a couple of his pro line clad in iron bit I believe this knife is just blue #2

11. That's probably for two reasons, lol...

First, I haven't the experience in food preparation to be able to really finesse a knife to its limits.

Second, while I've handled a number of other maker's knives, and even cut food with some of them...I really only regularly 'use' knives I make myself.

Of the knives that I've handled and cut with...the three that stand out the most are a 250mm WA-gyuto from Marko (I thought I wouldn't like the ginormous thick handle at first, but its actually quite comfortable in use), a 260mm wide blade Western chef's by Ray Rogers (another humongously thick handle, but equally comfortable), and the blue and ironwood gyuto by Don.

Of those three, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. My gut says Marko's...but when I think about it that's probably because our edge profiles and handle angles are apparently similar, making it more intuitive when used after one of my own.

12. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

As far as I'm concerned, your tastes in food and knives are impeccable. I was tempted to pull the trigger on a Maumasi after first seeing yours. Then I see these. I try to remember, I have several customs in the works, 3 young kids , and less time than ever to cook. Well there's always Christmas.

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

You're a sweetheart, Mrmnms!