1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The knife you just love to use?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Jeffery Hunter, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Is there a knife you just look for a reason to use? For me it's still my first and favorite that I'll find a reason to pick up daily. My Tanaka nakiri, she's not the prettiest the ku finish is almost fully worked off plain old handle but an edge like not many that will stick around and can always be counted on to get me through litre upon litre of mire poix. Not a great photo but here she is. Now I showed you mine you show me yours. 20140925_190326.jpg

2. Jeffery your Tanaka looks like you are putting it to work 24h a day :)
    Is it the one with blue#2 core made by Shigeki Tanaka?

Can't say I'm specifically looking for a reason to use my knives, but when I actually need to cut, I grab Watanabe or Takamura (Watanabe more often… like in 70% of times).

[​IMG]
    That 180mm Watanabe is just a very good cutter. Non reactive at all. I can leave it for 5-10 minutes and nothing will happen with carbon core. Pretty hefty knife for its length. I usually take in to stones every 2-3 weeks for a quick touch ups.
    And when I want something more lazerish I took Takamura. This one seems to hold good edge forever. I think I sharpened it only once somewhere in June… and only stropped on felt since then.

3. It might not be the most popular choice but I use my 190mm Hiromoto AS Santoku on a daily basis, it just cuts great and holds it's edge for a long time and works perfectly for most of the tasks I do at home
    as_01.JPG

4. Jeffery Hunter

@Anton it sees a lot of work and yes its a blue #2 by Shiheki.

5. turbo

turbo Founding Member

I love my misono dragon.

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I have a few, but I've been offered far more than this costs new, multiple times, and every time I say, "Thanks, but this one is staying with me".

[​IMG]

7. That thing's just a straight up beauty Tom...I never get tired of seeing it, and you know I see a LOT of it on IG lol.

8. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Not a big name knife or anything, but this knife is always a delight:
    [​IMG]
    Zakuri 135mm funayuki

9. Jeffery Hunter

@turbo what size dragon do you have? One of them has been on my wish list for awhile. @Lefty that is a great looking piece.

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Right now, this week any way :) Sakai Takayuki 195mm usuba White 2 hagane, forged by Kenji Togashi (of Suisin Densho series fame) and finished by Yukinori Oda. A little chippy, but a frickin' vegetable slayer.

11. turbo

turbo Founding Member

I have a 240 but after 8 yrs of use it's more of a suji at this point

12. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

[​IMG]

Don Nguyen 240k-tip gyuto, with custom sheath. Everytime I go to get a knife I find myself asking why I should use any of the others....it was a gift from Son to boot, so also has sentimental value....and a fantastic performer...lastly, my first carbon.

13. This looks very elegant. Congrats.

14. Jeffery Hunter

Great looking piece!!

15. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

[​IMG]

I get a real kick out of using this one- I have a lot of respect for the three men who had a hand in creating it and that no one lse in the world has this exact knife is a kick.

16. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Zwifel: My goodness that Don Nguyen is mind blowing STUNNING!

Jim: The Martell is UBER SEXY! So much so that I am not so sure I could use it, with fear of scratching and/or damaging.

17. I love my Kato workhorse, but honestly reach for these Gengetsu most often.

Gens.jpg

18. I love my shigs, but honestly reach for the harners more often. Stainless is good.

19. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Wow! I have loved Don's work since day one (maybe it was two?), and this one might be my favorite that I've seen. His knives cut superbly, and there is something about this murdered out piece. Well done, Don!