1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

the garden thread

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by butch, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Spotted a new garden helper this morning. There's a little weasel running around in my garden. I have a problem with voles, so I'm very glad to see him. And he'll help with the rabbits, too.

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

We had a good hard frost last week and everything came to a standstill. drove the mower through the garden.

4. butch

butch Founding Member

our hard frost was last night (27f) but now we are warming back up will be lower 70s the rest of the week

5. Toothpick

We had a frost last night too. And another one tonight.
    Shucks, a little to late to plant I guess.

I haven't even been out back to look

6. butch

butch Founding Member

lopes need all the time they can get where i live late plans never post fruit

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

We've had a couple nights where there was frost on the roofs, but nothing that's made it to the ground. The tomato plants are even still alive. Stupid El Nino.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

It was a surprise. Last year I still had some tomatoes on the first of December.

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Our trees are changing color now. I'm really happy with my oak tree--dragged it home from the nursery in the car and it looked like the oak version of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree for the first few years.

Oak1.jpg

It finally took hold and is growing like a weed. It's not quite at its peak color yet.

Oak.jpg

10. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

I planted a bed of potatoes and another of garlic. This time I used softer soil.
    They are already starting to come up.

The ducks seem to be happy as long as they get some fresh mud once in awhile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Guess those guys are not going south for the winter....what do you feed them once the bugs are gone?

12. Toothpick

We had a Crested Duck when I was a teen in West Tennessee.
    Looked like these. We called him Top Hat

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446088914.764356.jpg

If I had a farm i'd have all kinds of animals.
    You can feed ducks chicken feed. Grain, weeds, peas, lettuce. Bunch of stuff.

13. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

Our ducks eat layer pellets along with poultry conditioning pellets and ground corn and grain scratch.
    They also get a lot of vegetable kitchen scraps, and mud. They like mud and grasshoppers better than anything.

Toothpick,
    Those ducks have red eyes.
    Maybe they are were-ducks.

14. Toothpick