1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fountain Pen Thread

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Andrew, Feb 16, 2014.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Some. Need to get some better paper and a better reference on writing styles.

I also want to get more colored carts

2. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

2014-09-15 17.18.35.jpg
    Seven colours to try a Pilot 78g and a Midori passport size waiting for me when I got home today.

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

seen the post at B&B, never seen sample tubes like that before, where did you pick them up?

I love my midori, they make great paper, and the other paper you get for them is great as well

lots to enjoy there, enjoy some fun Jeff

4. Jeffery Hunter

@James I went to purchase ink from Wonderpens and noticed that they did samples so I ended up with 7 colors so naturally I needed at least one more pen for testing purposes....

5. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

78g is great for sampling because the nib/feed pops out and cleans easily, and the nib is easily adjusted to experiment with an ink's wet/shading/dry range...I just wish they had stainless steel clips so I could use the unplated stainless EF nibs without conflict.

6. James

Wonderpens looks like it would be a cool place to visit, we must be fairly close to one another... at least in a global sense

7. Jeffery Hunter

Opposite sides of :james2 @James but great online retailer that looks like a better B&M, Liked their service after you suggested them when I was looking for my first fp (pilot merto)

8. James

lol sorry I just read the "went to purchase" a bit to literally. One of the Mods not to far from me used them and turned me onto them not to long ago. I just found Stylo.ca... great service, but you have to watch out for some errors in descriptions on their site, though ive only seen one so that may not be a fair statement

9. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

A cap off my franken-Pelican 140 fell off at work and I couldn't find it! I was sad. A new cap was going to cost more than I had in the old pen body and cap... I found it while doing inventory in the cleaning closet! It must have caught something when I was in it Friday night. I did a happy dance. :D

I am continuing to do a happy dance. :D

10. Brianw

Brianw The Dark Net Mastermind Founding Member

What's a Fountain Pen ??

11. Jeffery Hunter

Soooo I may have a problem..... 20141004_135853.jpg
    You may have seen this photo elsewhere today but this thread needs some action too! Some Nooders action and a new note pad

12. James

doesnt look like a problem to me, no problem at all lol

how do you like it

13. Jeffery Hunter

No chance to really write yet got home from picking it up and was right out the door to the whitecaps match. I'll let ya know what I think later.

14. I think I am going to get a Lamy Safari for my 1st FP, either the gloss black or the matte grey, I like the look of the matte, it might sound weird but does anyone know if the matte actually feels a little rough to the touch as it looked like it when I saw them in 2 shops, but they were in the packaging and didn't have any to try.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  15. James

it won't feel rough, there may be a difference a bit in the feel, but nothing overly noticeable

16. Thanks for the info, still stuck between the two, matte or the more classic gloss? Leaning towards the matte I think

17. Any of our pen oficionados able to tell me what this FP is?
    pen.JPG

I found it in junk shop today for pennies, after a quick google I believe it's a Sheaffer Lady?

One other thing, is the nib supposed to be curved like that?
    pen2.JPG

Thanks in advance for any info!

18. James

non looks okay, tough to tell completely without a to down... and I'm no good with shaeffers as far add models go @Brianw may know though

19. If you have a spare $40,000 for the Texas Pen!!

image.jpg

20. Here are before and after shots of a nib I fixed. Why? Because I am also the Pen(n) Doctor.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg