1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fountain Pen Thread

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Andrew, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

I've really been enjoying my Kaweco Sport with medium nib lately. I forgot how nice this little pen is. It writes a nice smooth line, and it writes on the narrow side of medium for a western nib. You really can't go wrong with these pocket pens.

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I've been using pilot cartridges in my VP. no fuss... way too easy for a work pen. Can stash extra carts in my knife bag.

3. Andrew

I know carts are comparatively expensive, but one will last quite a while for me, since most of my writing is just quick notes and lists with a medium or fine nib. It takes me ages to get through a bottle of ink.

4. John Fout

I got close to a month out of my last cart. Carts are a little easier to keep in my knife bag too.

5. Boris

Boris Founding Member

i dont think ill ever actually finish a bottle of ink lol

6. John Fout

I will if I PIF most of it away haha.

7. Andrew

Anyone ever try a Pilot 78G fountain pen? $10 shipped (with a converter!) from our favorite auction website. :thumb

8. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I have a bunch. Some are brilliant and some are not great. If I had to pick between one of my better (and refinished) 78gs and my Edison with Masuyama nib (both very fine), I'd probably go for the 78g.

9. John Fout

I had a 78gB and 78g BB. The BB was too dry and but the B was decent. I PIF'd both after discovering Pelikans.

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I`ll let you know what I think as I just ordered one today. Went on-line to buy ink ended up with 7 samples a 78g and a pilot converter that I may put in the Metro as I`m not a fan of the one I have and a weekly Midori note book..... oops:syn:

11. I bought Pilot 78G from Ebay after reading this thread somewhere around June. Since then it became my main pen and I'm pretty happy with it. It's cheap and it works just fine for me. It works so well that have no interest in trying any other fountain pens, which is a huge plus for me, as the last thing I need is another rabbit hole :)

12. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I've got some nice pens, and I still have a 78G in my pocket. They're light, a good size, seal reasonably well, and have easily cleaned and replaced nibs/feeds/sections that can be adjusted and redone with little fear. I took some sandpaper to mine to give it a nice matte finish and remove the gold paint on the cap. It's not a luxurious pen, but very practical.

13. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

2014-08-29 01.22.17.jpg
    My new Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal Swirls Pen

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
  14. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

15. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

You all had me close to wanting a fountain pen early in this thread, thank god I got over that! [​IMG]

16. James

IMG_20140904_223206.jpg lol.. well I also bought some of Visconti's little brothers in the Rembrandt's

17. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Love the orange one. That is quite the recent haul @James

18. James

Well I went to the DC pen show, with some guys from B&B who are also here (Even met up with Jim in NY before hand) so I cam back with some cool pens and inks. check out this Akkerman Ink, they took a very old bottle design and remade it. to make filling a pen easier there is a marble in the upper section so you can tip the bottle upside down then when righted the marble cuts the flow off to keep the ink in the upper section so you can fit you pen into it to fill (the whole nib has to be submerged for it to fill or it will just pull in air, so the smaller area makes it deep enough when ink levels are running low to allow that to happen)

2014-08-13 00.39.40.jpg

19. John Fout

The enabling is strong within you!

My Pilot Parallels showed up!

20. James

Have you played with them yet ?