1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

The Evolution of a Handle Maker

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

The very first knife that I rehandled (for money) came back to me to get the handle trimmed down. The owner's wife has taken a liking to the knife but disliked the wide rear end it has. Early on I used to make the butt end(s) pretty wide (doing so because of lack of knowledge) and on this particular handle the owner had specifically asked for wideness in the butt so he got it as that's all I knew anyway. [​IMG]

So here's the evolution of my handle making caught in pictures. Actually it's not completely accurate as I use small diameter pins these days and different liner material but it does show how I've changed the shape, contours, and finish in subtle ways.

BTW, all of the "old" pictures were taken when the handle was first done way back when.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the major changes (although it really barely shows) is how I've changed the way I shape finger wrap relief on the underside of the beak (?) of the tang. This feature does more for handle comfort than anything I've seen or experimented with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I threw these bonus shots in for the owner....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

It is fun to see how your skills can evolve through use and just having something click to make you say, 'why don't I try this?' Then it works and we move on and we are that much greater for it!

3. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Wow, awesome stuff, Dave! It is a beautiful handle, for sure. What material did you use for the scales?

4. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

It must be fun to go back to your earlier works and compare with now. Very nice pictures!

5. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I don't know, it was so long (years) ago. I'll guess maple.

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member